What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie Today

Blizzard

Just registered today and looking forward to interacting with the Van's community. Planning on starting a 10 this fall. I have a 1700 X 70 ft excellent turf strip on my farm and a 48 X 80 ft hangar to build in. Would like some input from 10 drivers if this is enough strip to operate from. Assume no obstacles on either end. Thanks

Welcome! You've come to the right place. Its an invaluable resource for anyone building.

Welcome Doug!

Just registered today and looking forward to interacting with the Van's community. Planning on starting a 10 this fall. I have a 1700 X 70 ft excellent turf strip on my farm and a 48 X 80 ft hangar to build in. Would like some input from 10 drivers if this is enough strip to operate from. Assume no obstacles on either end. Thanks

Nice to have you here Captain! What do I need to get a permission on land on your farm strip? I am running out of grass for my herbarium collection. Oh and I have an RV model scored 9 out of ten... :)

Welcome

Hi Doug,
I've been into 2,000' strips and our EAA patch is 2700 feet and I use half of it. With practice you'd be able to manage 1700' with decent approaches. I've had my '10 for 9 years now and love it more every time I fly.

Best,

There are four RV-10s in the Columbus metro area. Two of us are also Technical Counselors. 2 at Delaware, 1 at Lancaster, and 1 at Buckeye Exec. So you have plenty of sources for advice not too far from your farm. Or if you just want to see what the finished assembly looks like.

I take mine into a 1900 grass strip all the time. It has trees at one end and had a barn at the other. A Mooney pilot took out the barn one day, so it's even easier to get in and out now.:eek: It was never an issue for the RV-10.

I should be at Urbana on Sunday for breakfast (8-10). There will most likely be two RV-10s there.

Thanks Bob. That's great to know there is a support group locally. I'll try to make it up to Urbana Sunday morning. I'll be in my Super Cub.

What is your elevation?

Back