What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deburring Tips

asw20c

Well Known Member
I spent almost two hours today deburring half of one of the bulkheads in the empennage kit. Each one of those little tabs on the flange that fit the curve of the bottom skin are a major pain in the rear. I've tried using a standard deburring tool, scotch brite, and a file. I can get the job done eventually but it is not without some difficulty and much more labor intensive than I had thought it might be. Considering how long it took to complete just half a bulkhead does it sound like I may be going overboard? Too anal? Or does this sound about right?

Considering how long it took to complete just half a bulkhead does it sound like I may be going overboard? Too anal? Or does this sound about right?

Well, it is more effort than I do.
I would probably complete all of them in well under 2 hrs, so I would say you are doing more than at least some people do.

Scott,

Do you have a preferred tool or technique that you recommend for deburring the curved areas of the narrow slots between the small tabs on the flanges of ribs and bulkheads?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I have found emery cloth and this stuff to be very useful:

https://www.amazon.com/Mitchell-Abr...&qid=1483962518&sr=8-8&keywords=abrasive+tape

And the cord version is useful for the smaller corners:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000REGVES/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, drywall sponges (3M, aluminum oxide) are great for larger openings and skin edges: knocks the edges down smooth, I go over again with ScotchBrite while scuffing to prime.

I have not seen that product before. Looks like a great idea. I was just looking at the stack of ribs in my wing kit and thinking about all the deburring ahead. Those may help!
I also like using this flexible sandpaper from 3M. Little more pricey than regular, but it does seem to last longer.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-28220SB-UF4-Sandblaster-Flexible-4-5-Inches/dp/B00PPD1VOQ/ref=pd_sim_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=STDVNVSD7CREX4WSF1E9

When I first started my empennage I had a similar experience, deburring was taking hours. I tried different things until settling on a mini right angle die grinder with a fine grit non-woven flap wheel for pretty much all the edges. If you carefully feather the throttle you can push the soft wheel into the spaces between tabs, it does a nice job and it's really fast. The downside is the wheels are pricey, and don't last long. To deburr holes I primarily use a single flute countersink in a miniature drill. On slow speed it only takes one revolution to remove the burr without chamfering it.

I wish that, in addition to a QB kit, Vans sold a 'deburred' kit.

Wally World sells a 3m metal stripping wheel in the auto dept. similar material to the maroon pads but a little more coarse. After it wears down a little it's perfect to chuck into a drill press and work on the nooks and crannies. Only $8. And the 3M bench grinder wheel from vans is a must have.

1" scotchbrite

I used a 1" scotchbrite wheel. Put it in my electric drill and go to town. One rib took about 5 minutes. Available at Cleveland Tools. They do wear out so get more than one. Maybe 8 or 10 for the whole airplane. don't forget the screw that attaches to your drill

Back