What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SportAir workshop reinforced what I was afraid of

kiljoy

Well Known Member
So before I'd allow myself to begin building an RV I knew I needed to take a primer on sheet metal. I attended the SportAir sheet metal class in Oakland this past weekend. I was very, VERY lucky that a spot opened up just a few weeks before the class... and that I live 5 minutes away from it.

I went into this so excited that I tried not to think about it for weeks. I was afraid that I'd either be a natural at more delicate metal work or worse be horrible at it.

The entire weekend was a blast and I cant recommend the classes enough. My only complaint is that they don't stay in one place for a week so that you can take all of the classes.

IMG_7888.jpg

IMG_7892.jpg

Class is in session. Jack Dueck from the EAA Canadian Council was our teacher.

IMG_7895.jpg

I'm gonna BUILD STUFF!!!!

IMG_7901.jpg

This isn't that hard.

IMG_7910.jpg

This was a little harder (note the dome head indentations on the east side of the inspection plate hatch)

IMG_7913.jpg

That's the first grade I've ever cared about.

IMG_7917.jpg

The aviation maintenance school the classes were held at had plenty of cool items to look at!

Overall it was a great experience. Mr Dueck really knows his stuff and how to teach newbies. My only weakness was drilling out rivets. After I finished my wing project I stuck around for 3-4 hours and practiced riveting and then drilling out those rivets and reriveting, etc. Mr. Dueck recommended practicing drilling out pop rivets. Those were less fun. A great experience!!

Things I also learned:

- List of tool needs continues to grow (pneumatic cleco pliers).
- I'm better with the rivet gun than a rivet squeezer.
- I love this almost as much as I love my family.
- One day I'm going to come home from the hangar and
my wife will have left with our cats and I won't notice :D

:)

These classes are great experience. I see Mark Forss and Kohler are still
At it.
You will love the squeezer. Pneumatic will be you friend on -4 rivets. hand on the -3.

Welcome to the club.

YOU CANT HAVE ENOUGH TOOLS!!!!!!:eek:

I've taken 3 of their classes (sheet metal, composite, and electronics). They were so much fun! I too highly recommend.

Congratulations

Congratulations. Well done. Now drill everything apart and reassemble.
You're skills with gun and bar will serve you well.

I was in the electronic class and also enjoyed it. It really should be attended by all builders. Good info for planning, building and maintaining your electrical system.

Back