What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Hall effect sensor module parts

sirlegin

Well Known Member
Does anyone know where to get the bearing/seals to replace when the module leaks oil besides Klaus?

Nigel,

Based on how you asked this question I assume you went down the same path I did with Klaus six and a half years ago asking him for replacement parts when the seals on my Hall Effect modules started to leak.

After several email exchanges with Klaus I he sent the following:

"The seal is identified by it's dimension in mm: 15x 24x5.
You can get it at most industrial supply places or bearing supplies."

As you can imagine this limited description proved of of little use.

He would not provide a part number or vendor, and he would not sell me this ~$1 part. He did offer to rebuild the modules at "$175 - $275" each.

Considering the other more serious issues I had with this dual Lightspeed install I removed both units and sold them for replacement parts.

Carl

Hall effect parts

Nigel,
My local bearing shop fixed me up with an SKF 5790 seal. Fit is great. Carl is correct, the seal has "NAK 8C 15 24 5 5" on the side you can't see until you take it out.

The bearings appear to be a double stack with a spacer between them. The number on both is NSK 6000V. I have not pressed them out yet so can't give any details on the spacer.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Does anyone know if oil contamination (internal) will cause the hall effect module to not function properly.

Does anyone know if oil contamination (internal) will cause the hall effect module to not function properly.

Mine worked with a lot of oil in it - but quit multiple times for other issues.:D

I know you don't want to hear this, but now might be a good time to jettison the Hall Effect module and install one of Klaus' direct crank triggers.

Mine worked with a lot of oil in it - but quit multiple times for other issues.:D

I know you don't want to hear this, but now might be a good time to jettison the Hall Effect module and install one of Klaus' direct crank triggers.

But - the crank triggers present, in my opinion, a fragile element to the system.

Carl

Thank you for al your comments. I am trying to trouble shoot a rough running problem and so far have substituted all components with servicable ones and no joy. Next step is the wiring

But - the crank triggers present, in my opinion, a fragile element to the system.

Carl

I can only speak from my own experience of 5,000+ hours with LSE ignitions on my own airplanes. Multiple in-flight failures of Hall Effect modules and zero with direct crank triggers. Ask Klaus what he considers to be the most robust configuration. Agree on the appearance of fragility, but the thousands of installations with direct crank triggers are generally trouble free. I know of very few Hall module installations with >1,000 hours that haven't caused some grief or required service.

If I were doing this all over again - and I will be on the 14 - it will be LSE on one side (mini sensor trigger) and a mag on the other.

Thank you for al your comments. I am trying to trouble shoot a rough running problem and so far have substituted all components with servicable ones and no joy. Next step is the wiring

The sub-D connector/PCB interface is a good place to start.

Back to the trouble shooting the system wiring tomorrow and if unable to determine cause of problem the magneto is going back in.
Thank you for every ones input

You might try shielded wire from the hall effect sensor or twisting the three wires for the whole run. These sensor have a very low current and can be affected by noise.

Larry

this is a great help. I dont want to send the unit to Klaus and pay his fee. I have over 1500 hours on the hall effect unit and it still ran fine when it was full of oil.

Hall Effect Module for sale

Update: SOLD.

This thread has prompted me to overcome inertia and offer for sale the Lightspeed Engineering Hall Effect Module I have on hand. $125 shipped Email: [email protected]

HallEffectModule.jpg

Here's the story: I obtained a Plasma II unit from another builder who flew it for a few hours, experienced some sort of problem, and had it checked out by LSE ("no problem found"). The installation was blamed. I decided to go with PMags and have since sold everything except this Hall Effect Module.

Last edited:
Back