What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O2 tank size/valve for side-by-side

jwyatt

Well Known Member
What size bottle are folks mounting to the flap cover area in the 6/7/9 baggage area? It looks like a D or JD would fit well; does an E fit, including the height of a regulator?

Are folks finding success with the CGA870 medical-style valve or is the CGA540 preferred for a more secure connection (leaks? vibration?) and/or ease of filling?

Thanks!

I have a D cylinder with CGA-540 valve mounted there in my 9A. I also do have a couple 870 E cylinders but they are pretty tall. It might fit but it was much taller than I would like so I ordered the D's. JD is the same height but bigger diameter, if you need the extra gas.

I have 2 D cylinders. The empty weight of 2 D's isnt much more than the empty weight of a single JD, for the times when the extra gas is needed. Swap cylinders at a fuel stop.

I have an E bottle mounted behind the cross bar behind passenger. The top of the bottle is about the same height as the top of the seat back. I used the 870 as I was able to get the bottle and Pediatric regulator for under $40. I get an O2 script from the AME or family Dr. and get it filled at the nearest welding supply house. My setup is easily removable, so only put it in the plane when I plan to go high.

Larry

-9A with two E bottles and CGA-540 valves. They are mounted to the "almost a 14" crossbar behind the pax seat. The oximiser regulator, pointed aft, clears the canopy easily. Dan from Reno

D with MH pulse ox. We've been everywhere and never run out. I AM addicted to O2.

Back