What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear spar doubler plate

WVM

Well Known Member
Hi,

I am trying to understand the countersinck & rivet schema for the "Rear wing spar". For the W-907E Rear spar doubler plate I noticed this picture on a builder website:

12072006_04.jpg

But based on the plans it looks like that the second row on the right also need to be rivetted, isn't it?

If you appear to have detailed pictures from these rear spar countersinck and rivet setup, kindly share them with me. thanks!

I noticed that you both did a different thing for the spar flanges.

In the manual they say "Drill the holes to final size (#40) and dimple the upper spar flange along the length of the W-907B. When the spar is assembled, getting to these holes with a set of dimple dies is quite difficult (Fig. 7-1.)"

So I understand that I only need to dimple the upper flange. I suppose because the doubler plates are in the way when rivetted together. But further more I notice on figure 7.1 that this image also shows a dimpled lower flange.

What is suppose to be done?

And for the 3 outer holes in W-907E nothing is mentioned in the manual, also not in further sections. I understand based on the rivet icons on the plans that they are indeed 426 rivets. But if they instruct to prime the part and you have to countersink later it looks like they forgot to mention it.

Last edited:
The lower flange of the rear spar will get dmpled later after you match drill your wing skins.

For the rear spar doubler plate (907E) the 5 holes are for the aileron attachment brackets. There's a piece of angle that gets riveted there. I believe just AN470 rivets, so not countersink necessary.

The outer 3 holes get the AN426 rivets. After you match drill the rear spar to the ribs, then you can countersink the 907E.

Last edited:
The lower flange of the rear spar will get dmpled later after you match drill your wing skins.

For the rear spar doubler plate (907E) the 5 holes are for the aileron attachment brackets. There's a piece of angle that gets riveted there. I believe just AN470 rivets, so not countersink necessary.

The outer 3 holes get the AN426 rivets. After you match drill the rear spar to the ribs, then you can countersink the 907E.

Many thanks Phil! Have a nice weekend!

Back