What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exit opening

dspender

Well Known Member
Can the 14 fuselage be completed minus landing gear so that it can pass through a 5' x 5' opening? Would the vertical stabelizer need to be removed. I plan to build in a room that has an extraction space that is 5' x 5'.

Should be no problem at all without landing gear.

The vertical stab typically isn't final installed until very near the end. Most people transport to the airport without.

landing gear

So can I complete the fuselage with landing gear within my proposed space, remove the landing gear for extraction through the 5' x 5' space and then reattach the landing gear without affecting the skin surfaces or other structural or wiring features?

So can I complete the fuselage with landing gear within my proposed space, remove the landing gear for extraction through the 5' x 5' space and then reattach the landing gear without affecting the skin surfaces or other structural or wiring features?

Yes. RVbuilder2002 is a Van's employee and knows his stuff. ;-)

Yes. The gear is pretty easy to install and remove, and wont be effected by any other systems (other than disconnecting the brake lines near the top of the legs.
But keep in mind that even though the basic fuselage tub is pretty light (150 lbs or so) and easy to move, if you intend to mostly finish the airplane (canopy, Inst. panel, engine, etc.) in that work space and then move it out, you will need to make some sort of dolly/ cradle with heavy duty castors to move it on. Should be very doable though.

Back