What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Column Travel

jwilbur

Well Known Member
Is anyone able to tell me how far the WD-1010 control column travels forward from the neutral position once the elevator is installed? In my case it will hit a fuel line as it nears it's forward-most position. I'm trying to figure out if I need to reroute the fuel line or if the elevator will hit the stop before getting that far.

Thanks,

A number of builders have found, depending on what stick grip they used, that the grip would hit the panel before the elevator hit the stops. So something needed to be done, like bending the stick a bit.
So I'd say if you push the stick forward until it hits the panel (or would, if it were longer), and you clear your fuel line, you're okay. If not a more precise check is needed.

Sorry. I should have been clearer. What I'm looking for is how far the control column and push rod assembly move forward from their neutral position, not the control stick. When the stick moves aft the column moves forward.

If anyone with their elevators already attached can make a quick measurement for me I'd sure appreciate it. I may have to redo my fuel line and I'd rather do it now than later if so.

Thanks,

After this afternoon I have the same question. The plans kind of warn against this, but when it was all said and done, the fuel line coming out of the selector valve had to be bent back slightly to get everything aligned... good thing is this is a short line, and I have enough excess to redo it if I need to.
Does anyone have a ballpark estimate on how close the arm on the control column came to their fuel line?

Last edited:
I'm curious about stick travel as well. If I can make time tonight I'll rig up my elevators and measure for you guys. I've got my emp attached and control system parts done, just never rigged it all together yet. If no one gets back sooner I'll try and take some pics and post an answer here in the next day or two.

RV-10 stick

If you have a bulky (think fancy with lots of buttons) stick grip, you may bump the lower panel with fwd stick. Caution locating controls and switches in front of the stick as some may interfere.

Ask how I found this out!

Thanks Mike, that would be much appreciated!

Vern, thanks for the heads up. The interference we are talking about here though is down in the tunnel.

solved but found another interference issue

As mentioned, I solved it by moving the fuel line coming from the fuel valve. Pretty easy fix, as it turned out. I never learned if it would hit the elevator stops first but decided the fix was easy enough regardless so I just did it.

This brings up a new one I found. On page 39-8 of the plans, if you install the lower 2 bolts in figure 3 as shown and then you put the stick as far as it will go left/right, then pull all the way back, and then try to go right/left, the stick will lock as the tail end of the bolt sticking out of the nut will catch on F-1033. My solution was to reverse the bolts. ... This is most likely a non-issue as the aileron stops will probably prevent the stick from moving this far (unverified), but again it was an easy fix so I just did it.

Alright, I rigged up my elevators to the control column last night and I've got some numbers that I hope are both correct and helpful. Keep in mind this was an initial "test" rigging and not a final rigging, so measurements may change slightly, YMMV, etc etc...

The plans have you rig the WD-1010 at its neutral position, where the eye of the bolt hole is 8-15/32" forward from the web of the center section spar (pg 39-10) and elevators in "trail" position. For me, this worked out to lengthening my F-1089 by about 2-3 turns of the bearing, having started from the measurements specified in the plans for all the elevator control pushrods. Close enough, I suppose...

So from that starting point (elevators neutral with the bolt center at 8-15/32"), I could pull the stick back until the elevators hit the full-up stop. At this point, the forward-most edge of the WD-1010 was about 10-3/8" to 10-1/2" from the center section spar. Note this is an edge distance measurement this time, not the bolt center. So, if it were me, I'd have my fuel lines at least 10-3/4" forward of the center section spar where they will be near the control column.

IMG_0909.JPG

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Mike. You are awesome! :cool: Thank you for checking this out. I'll be looking at this tonight when I get home. By looking at the picture on my phone, it looks like a may be okay.

I just finished redoing that fuel line segment. How I had it installed, it was 10 1/2 inches fwd of the centersection bulkhead. Bad deal / too close for comfort per your measurements. So I redid the line between the filter and pump, and also the interfering line between the selector valve and filter. The quality looks way better (no afterthought bends in the valve/filter line), and I'm up to 11.4" fwd of the bulkhead! Woo :D

Back