What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish Kit Options and Considerations

BenNabors

Well Known Member
I have learned about some options with the parts associated with the finishing kit from being a good listener.
There are engine decisions and propeller decisions that have to be answered. But, there are other options that are not easy to find.
One individual changed out the standard canopy with a UV blocking canopy, I am sun sensitive, so I sure want that one. I cannot find that as an option in the Vans literature, so if I had not stumbled onto that, I would have never known.

Then there are the much discussed after market options like the Sam James cowl and plenum. They advertise a "overall drag reduction yields speed increases of approximately 7 to 10 mph." If this is true, the is the equivalent of the difference between 180hp and the 200 hp engine options based on the Vans performance metrics. Is this real or just marketing?

Brings up the question: What else do I not know about? Suggestions anyone?

I'm just starting to think about this too. It seems there are a lot of things I need to investigate before I'll be ready to order.

there is one thread that I cant find right now, one did a before and after a SJ cowl and if I remember, he did gain 10ish MPH, I went this route and think this is a very nice quality cowl. However, I did my own Plenum...

This is of great interest to me as well as I am now starting to think about my finish kit. Would appreciate any and all input -

- what options did you include and why
- would you do the same again today
- which options do you wish you had ordered...

Thanks!

I don't think my bird (with SJ cowl) is any faster than other 9A's, but the cooling plenum is awesome. I NEVER have overheating or high CHT's regardless of weather. In the winter I block off the oil cooler 100% in order to get the oil temp above 170.
Another thought for finish kit is hoses. Many builders cannot use the standard length vans hoses (oil, vacuum, fuel, etc) and have to later order correct ones. I deducted them from the finish kit and ordered them as I needed ... and measured. :)

Apart from the cowl selection, the next item I am looking into is brakes and wheels/tires. I decided to use Grove brakes and wheels and also something else than stock tires.

Canopy

I have learned about some options with the parts associated with the finishing kit from being a good listener.
There are engine decisions and propeller decisions that have to be answered. But, there are other options that are not easy to find.
One individual changed out the standard canopy with a UV blocking canopy, I am sun sensitive, so I sure want that one. I cannot find that as an option in the Vans literature, so if I had not stumbled onto that, I would have never known.

Then there are the much discussed after market options like the Sam James cowl and plenum. They advertise a "overall drag reduction yields speed increases of approximately 7 to 10 mph." If this is true, the is the equivalent of the difference between 180hp and the 200 hp engine options based on the Vans performance metrics. Is this real or just marketing?

Brings up the question: What else do I not know about? Suggestions anyone?

I made some changes.
Canopy was one. I wanted the UV canopy.
Request samples from Airplane Plastics by emailing [email protected] or by calling 937-669-2677 (Becky and Jeff)
I also wanted my canopy weldments powder coated black so I ordered them bare. I will fit everything then powder coat, recheck the fit and silkaflex.
The rest was left standard to reduce homebuilder engineering. Changes always add time.
Mine was ordered IO360M1B cowl.

Sam James comparison verse Van's standard cowl

there is one thread that I cant find right now, one did a before and after a SJ cowl and if I remember, he did gain 10ish MPH, I went this route and think this is a very nice quality cowl. However, I did my own Plenum...

I think this is the discussion you spoke of: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=74368&highlight=sam+james+comparison&page=5 see post #46

Thanks that is great information. If the data is correct, it makes the change in cowl a smart change as it will save fuel for the life of the plane by reduced drag. This looks like a 10% drag and thus fuel reduction.

I have seen Dan Horton's plane and seen his discussions on the forum, he seems to have a good understanding on engine cooling drag and has made changes to his cowl exit area. I need to get a Horton education.

Oops. Just realized the hoses are in the FF kit. Never mind. :eek:

My suggestion would be to have Van's keep the hoses (and also any electrical cables, and I say that because of my experience with their quality. Make them yourself) and have TS Flightlines make your hoses up custom like. It's very difficult to make an out-of-the-box solution fit everything given the differences from installation to installation, especially with various exhaust line options that will require you to put your thinking cap on for the best routing.

I was able to use all the hoses in the finishing kit as-is, but sometimes to get the routing right I'd had to substitute a 45-degree fitting for a straight one, etc. I think that routing all wires, cables and hoses behind the engine--so that they don't chafe or rub against anything/each other and still look neat--is a healthy challenge. It's also very satisfying when you get it done and are happy with your work!

Now, control cables for the throttle and mixture were a different matter, as I used a nonstandard routing. I had to experiment with a few different lengths. Thanks to VAF's great Classifieds, I was able to sell the ones I didn't use quickly.

Thanks, Bob

Thanks for this likely life or crash saving thread. I never thought of giving my Van's power cables a really close inspection and a real pull test. I am still building and will do the tests tomorrow. I appreciate this timely info. I haven't read ahead yet but wonder if Van's suggests a pull test for heavy duty wiring as part of their instructions. At least in your case, it's obvious that someone somewhere didn't do at least a pull test before shipping the product.

Just goes to show us that it's really up to us to trust but verify. Thanks again.

Back