What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall warning 7a

Ottoman

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie! This is probably my first of many questions. Tail is done and finishing up on the wing leading edges. I am not going to put in the stall warning, going with the AOA, so question is, how do I fill in the predrilled holes for the stall warning system?

Thanks
John.....

Fill the hole with West Marine epoxy and microballons then sand it down flush with the aircraft skin's surface. Fill any pinholes before paint.

Dimple and fill with rivet.

This comes up a number of times in the build. Van's will punch a pilot hole in a location that you may or may not use. Another example is the step on the fuselage. The factory recommends drilling to #40, debur, dimpling, then filling with an AN426AD3-3. A rivet to nowhere, so to speak.
Tom.

I countersunk them for NAS1097AD3 rivets (which I would suggest everyone buy a bag of--Van's has them). Figured that way, if for some reason there was ever a need to install the warning tab, the slot would be less distorted. And it was easier than trying to dimple right in the middle of the leading edge.

John,
Another option you might consider is having both AOA and a stall warning. There isn't anything wrong with having both inputs. You can always fill it in later if you like.

Why ....?

When I was building, I spent a lot of time reading the VAF and because I had no experience with RVs, I came to two unnecessary conclusions. :confused:

The first was that I needed some sort of stall warning horn/device but didn't want a hole in the wing so I spent $850 on an AOA. :rolleyes: I installed it but had so much fun flying that I never calibrated it. 550 hours later, the CB is still pulled awaiting calibration and I can't for the life of me understand why I spent the money except that all my previous spam cans had one so I thought it was needed .... not true.

The other is that you need trim indicators.... they are nice but the trims are so light on the RV7a that I just hold the stick and trim off the very light pressure as needed completely by feel. Very quickly, I replaced the trim indicators with a G Meter.

These are real flying machines and you really don't need the kind of help that is required with a heavy handed spam can. :)

Just my .02

Bill

550 hours later, the CB is still pulled awaiting calibration and I can't for the life of me understand why I spent the money except that all my previous spam cans had one so I thought it was needed .... not true.

Just my .02

Bill
Well, I spend the same amount of money and more to calibrate it, but has not had any need to look at it to know if I am stalling. The only time that I really know it is there, it is on the take off roll when I bring the nose up and it thinks that I am about to stall. I guess I need to add two more sensors to my main tires to let it know that my mains are still on the ground :confused:

Back