What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Synthetic Aileron Stops Input

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
I'm working on the aileron travel and pushrod. I am ready to fit a stop of some kind and thought I would solicit your input on synthetic stops. I know some people make them from stock they get at Spruce and others from modified parts from the local DIY store. I figured enough condition inspections have gone by for some observations. Any lessons learned or issues that have cropped up over the years on yours?

What is SYNTHETIC Aileron stops INPUT?

Do I have any other stops beside the physical stops on my ailerons?

I put in the nylon stops. So far so good in 280 hours.

Course, I don't think this is one of highly critical areas so......

I bought some Delrin rods of various diameters, had a buddy with a good mill drill them out to the proper size, and then slice them to the appropriate length (so I had about 8 of each diameter). Turned out the smallest was dead on for proper throw, and has worked great for the last 4 years. Donated a set to another builder friend, same results.

Also have the internal rudder stop, which has also performed very well with no issues.

What is wrong with the stops on the plans?

Exactly that. They are in the plans. :D
Why would I build to plan when it can be redone heavier? :rolleyes:

But seriously, I used the plastic bushing style of aileron stop.
I thought it was bone simple and a worthy change since they are further from the hinge.
Lowes DIY store if I remember correctly.

550 hrs and 4.5 years. No service difficulties yet.

Not as much a fan of the rudder stop mod which has been debated elsewhere.

DIY and its time to replace

In 2007 I made my own aileron stops out of a broomstick handle. Out of yellow plastic they were hard enough and of correct diameter. After six years of flying and parking under the elements the stops discolored and became brittle. Don't use cheap plastic go stock or get delrin.

Thanks for the input, everyone. No broom handles, but other than that it seems everyone is pretty happy with their solution whether they made their own or got it from Tractor Supply. I'll revisit the plans stop again. I wasn't implying that there was anything wrong with it.

In 2007 I made my own aileron stops out of a broomstick handle. Out of yellow plastic they were hard enough and of correct diameter. After six years of flying and parking under the elements the stops discolored and became brittle. Don't use cheap plastic go stock or get delrin.

So what happened when the significant other decided to do some touch and gos for proficiency only to discover she couldn't maintain directional control due to the shortened broomstick?

wandering-witch-off-course.jpg

So what happened when the significant other decided to do some touch and gos for proficiency only to discover she couldn't maintain directional control due to the shortened broomstick?

wandering-witch-off-course.jpg

That's awesome thanks for a good laugh! :D

Back