What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Motor squeals on raising flaps

petersb

Well Known Member
Lowering flaps at any speed ( up to 95 kt ) and power settings is normal.

On raising flaps, other than when stationary, there is a loud continuous squeal , it is louder at higher speeds or power settings.

You would think that the load on the motor would be reduced at higher speed and/or propeller thrust.

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
If the motor were hydraulic, it would reduce the load but, I believe, it is a screw type, which would have a load up or down when flying but not much on the ground.

If the motor were hydraulic, it would reduce the load but, I believe, it is a screw type, which would have a load up or down when flying but not much on the ground.

True, but you would expect it to squeal when you are lowering the flaps, not raising them.

Peter

I'd expect it to squeal in both directions, if it is going to squeal :)

Try having someone apply light pressure to the flaps while on the ground to reproduce and troubleshoot.

I'd expect it to squeal in both directions, if it is going to squeal :)

Try having someone apply light pressure to the flaps while on the ground to reproduce and troubleshoot.

Yes, it is strange.

Just did your suggested test.

Raising the flaps on the ground engine off

Pushing down on the flap trading edge to resist movement, other than slowing down the movement, no noise

Pulling on the trailing edge to assist flap movement, even lightly, squealing noise

Weird .......

Yes, it is strange.

Just did your suggested test.

Raising the flaps on the ground engine off

Pushing down on the flap trading edge to resist movement, other than slowing down the movement, no noise

Pulling on the trailing edge to assist flap movement, even lightly, squealing noise

Weird .......

Any other thought out there ?

I had one that came with my-10 kit that did the same thing. Going up it made a totally different sound than down.

Sent it back to Vans and they replaced it without an issue. Never flew with it.

Back