What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Impressions ? Dynon D1

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I think it is pretty cool when you can play with a new toy right after you get it, don?t you? That?s why I though it was pretty cool to climb out of Oshkosh this morning with the Dynon D1 ?Pocket Panel? sitting on the Val?s glareshield ? I was able to pull it out of the box, turn it on (it was fully charged) and start using it immediately. It?s so bloody simple that even an old-fashioned steam gauge pilot can turn it on and understand it ? there are virtually no settings to adjust, and precious few buttons on the case. It just?works!

Think about what this little box represents ? it has an attitude and rate platform to show you where you are pointed and which direction you are moving. It shows you GPS-derived altitude and speed. It is, in fact, a pretty good six-pack replacement, and it seemed to reflect what I was seeing on the GRT HX?s pretty darn well. Imagine the confidence you?d have slotting into an empty instrument hole (they have a VERY cool mount) in a rental Cessna or Cherokee ? it would be a lot easier to hand fly such an airplane if the vacuum pump fails than it would be to keep going with needle, ball, and airspeed. Ten years ago, I never dreamed of such a thing.

I found the display to be readable and stable. This was a cross-country, so I didn?t do any Acro (I am looking forward to giving it a good work-out in the RV-3!), but it didn?t seem unduly sensitive to vibration sitting directly on the metal dash. It used about ? of the battery indicator in the 1:45 flight ? one charge should be good for at least a full tank of gas in an RV. As cool as this is for anyone, I almost think it?s niche market might be folks still flying older certified airplanes who want a more reliable (and easier to fly) backup. But you could build a super-light RV with a single 3-1/8?hole in the middle of the panel?.and not much else! Speed is (of course) ground speed ? but that gives you a fairly good idea what?s going on, assuming you?re not flying near a hurricane, and add a little margin to protect above stall.

I?ll update this thread when I get a chance to shake it up a bit in flight.

Paul

The Gemini has true air data connections. Pitot and static so that pretty much rules out a portable version unless they end up making an all GPS version.....something tells me that just might happen.

The only problem I see with it...the price! Yikes...$1425...That's too much.
I agree that's too much for the experimental market (especially for something that doesn't have true air data), but for all those left paying crazy prices renting or owning in the certified world, this might be nice redundancy for IFR purposes, plus they're already used to overpaying! :D

...certified world, this might be nice redundancy for IFR purposes, plus they're already used to overpaying! :D

"certified", people still fly those? ;)

Yep, if I owned a certified aircraft I would have one of those for sure. It's just hard to swallow the $1425 price tag when you can get a 7" Skyview for $2700, of course I am getting older and can't read the font on the 7" so the 10" is still a better option at $3600.

...of course I am getting older and can't read the font on the 7" so the 10" is still a better option at $3600.

I looked at all the EFIS offerings at Oshkosh, and to me, the 10" Dynon Skyview still seemed to have the brightest and crispest display of them all.

Well,

It came just at the right time for us.

I have just installed the network hub and was looking at $2500 or so for a 7" Skyview for the back of the 8.

I know, I'm all heart, I give the talking freight so many goodies.

Well - they are getting the D1 now and I have an extra grand to go towards an MT prop instead of a Hartzell :D

Yep

Hmmmm? Which instrument can I remove from my Air Tractor to accomodate one? Fog banks have written off lives and our airplanes!

Best,

Pierre, You have the perfect situation. You get a tax write off on the purchase and who is to say you don't have to transport it for safe keeping in one of your non business aircraft!
I agree with the other post about the 8. This seems like a perfect thing to mount in the back.
George

picture of the 3-1/8? panel hole ?pinch? mount

Hi Paul
When you will have a minute, can you post a picture of the 3-1/8? panel hole ?pinch? mount. and the back side of the D1
I will probably change my ADI II in my rv-10 for the D1 if i can mount it permanently in my 10. I know that it's not the phylosophy of dynon but it'S my back up. It do all the fonction of the ADI and have the speed and real attitude. For the GPS speed, i have a conventional airspeed just on the left of where i plan to put the D1.
I would be to replace the ADI II so the hole is a 2 1/4.
I want to know how i can make a bracket.

If it fit, there will be a almost new ADI II for sale at a low price.

Lan Vinh Do

George, I can't count the times that I'd have loved to have this little unit on board my Ag airplanes!

I held this little unit in my hand at Osh and it drew me like a magnet, while I was rotating at a 3 deg/second rate, watching it respond. For those emergencies, I'd rely on it in a heartbeat to clear either a fog bank or a spur-of-the-moment low cloud formation.

...and it can be turned off most of the time anyway.

Best,

Thanks for the flight report on the D1, Paul.

That little critter suits my needs just fine and a lot more handy than the D10A.

It is light weight, works and in an emergency provide a means of descending to my usual 1000-3, VFR on Top limits. That and the TrioPro I just ordered will meet the KISS (keep it simple stupid) criteria of the 8 now taking shape and provide plenty of operating latitude to kick back and watch the flight go by. Hook up an ADS-B receiver to a IFLY 720 and there will be more info than I ever had before in GA.

If isn't 1000-3 (with breaks to get up and down), I stay home and watch a movie or something. :)

I appreciate the report too. It seemed like a great back up device for using in the Cherokee now and then just move it to the 9 to back up the Horizon, should I need it.

As for the price, well it seemed a bit high until I thought what a six-pack of steam gauges would cost. Maybe a little competition will see the price drop.

I have had the pleasure of testing the D1 for a few months and can't say enough about the unit.

The battery life is longer than I had ever expected and will get you home and then some.

It is very stable and for those who fly tail draggers, you can adjust the pitch.

Dynon didn't have the instrument hole mounting but does provide a number of different mounts. However, I came up with this mount on my own:

D1%2520Bracket.jpg

(Poor phone camera picture)

2012-05-31_07-36-17_842.jpg

This mount gives you the option of putting a strip of Velcro on the top of the unit so that if your EFIS or other instrument goes out, you can stick it to the bottom of your glair shield. That way you won't have to turn your head to read the AI. BTW, the wire plugged into the side of the Pocket Panel is for the remote GPS antenna.

During testing, I could not get the D1 to tumble, no matter what I threw at it.

Antenna

Hi bill

Did you need the external antenna at this location in your panel to have a good reception?

Thanks

Vinh

George, I can't count the times that I'd have loved to have this little unit on board my Ag airplanes!

I held this little unit in my hand at Osh and it drew me like a magnet, while I was rotating at a 3 deg/second rate, watching it respond. For those emergencies, I'd rely on it in a heartbeat to clear either a fog bank or a spur-of-the-moment low cloud formation.

...and it can be turned off most of the time anyway.

Best,

Pierre, Thats what has attracted me also. I saw Bill R's demo unit. The fact that its portable can in the long run save a bunch of money. If you own several aircraft its just icing on the cake. I am trying to decide now between the Dynon or a panel mount option however the fact that if I sell my aircraft I can keep the D1 for the next plane is appealing. It never hurts if you can write it off your taxes. I wonder if the IRS would buy off on me needing it as a backup on a 767.

George

I'll post the pic of their "pinch mount" when I get a chance - probably not until I get home though....so if someone else beats me to it, that'd be great! It really is a unique idea.

Hi bill

Did you need the external antenna at this location in your panel to have a good reception?

Thanks

Vinh
Yes, you really want the external antenna, IMHO. If you mounted it up on the glare shield, you probably wouldn't need it.

Without the external antenna, I found that it may lose satellites when performing steap turns. In "normal" flight, it works just fine without it.

I know its not the same as flying, but while "simulating" maneuvers at the booth, we gave it some serious simulated spinning, rolling and basically just flipped the heck out of it - and it never "grayed" out or lost orientation by more than 10-degs or so for more than a few seconds. Can't say that for my other Dynon products. Different technology I'm guessing.

However it works, it's pretty impressive!

I know its not the same as flying, but while "simulating" maneuvers at the booth, we gave it some serious simulated spinning, rolling and basically just flipped the heck out of it - and it never "grayed" out or lost orientation by more than 10-degs or so for more than a few seconds. Can't say that for my other Dynon products. Different technology I'm guessing.

Same fundamental technology (MEMS rate sensors, accelerometers, algorithm aiding via GPS, and fancy math that's slightly different than our panel-mounted products), on different hardware.

Frankly, though, showing an accurate attitude on the ground is a lot technically easier than in the air. It's the latter scenario that often trips up solutions that aren't quite fully baked, but, that's practically impossible to demo on the ground. In short, be wary of any booth demo. Rely on the in-flight testing of your friends, forum buddies, and other pro reviewers (magazines and such) that have actually flown the atttitude-based products you're interested in.

Michael Schofield
Product Manager
Dynon Avionics

Last edited:
Some Acro Testing

I took the little D1 up for a little aerobatic testing in the RV-8 today, and must say, it is still pretty impressive. Loops, rolls, Cubans - I couldn't' really fool it at the rates you can generate with an RV. It seemed to behave just like the big GRT's in the panel - never lagged or got confused.

The only thing I noticed that surprised me was a fairly significant altitude error up high. The GRT altitude and backup altimeter (both pressure altitudes) had us at about 5,000'. The GPS altitude on the Garmin 396 showed us at 5300'. At the same time, the D1 was showing us at 6100'. Now we all know by now that we fly the altitudes generated by the pressure instruments to stay safely separated from other airplanes - it is not necessarily our true "height" above Sea Level. So there is no expectation that GPS altitude will correspond to what you see on the altimeter. But I would have expected a better correlation between the D1 and the G696. This was after a number of multi-axis maneuvers, so it might have been just a tad confused.

As I descended back to nearly Sea Level, I watched as the altitude error diminished almost linearly - by the time we were on the ground, it was Reading as accurately as the 696. We are headed out to the mountains next weekend, and I plan to take the D1 along to see how it does with high terrain - I'll try to remember to post the results.

Attitude and heading wise - it is perfect, and I'd trust it in a backup any day.

Paul

attitude display and GPS - linkage?

Chapter 7 in the Pilot User Guide indicates that there is a significant linkage between the attitude display and the GPS lock. Has anyone seen the behavior of the attitude display in the case of losing the GPS lock? (I'm really curious: what could GPS information possibly provide to make the pitch and roll display more accurate? I thought accelerometers and rate sensors would be the sole inputs to any artificial horizon computation?)

Take a stroll thru the archives with a search for "Aiding".

Bottom line is all affordable AHRS units need some sort of aiding in their algorithms.

GPS or Pitot info seem to be the most common types in our market.

Chapter 7 in the Pilot User Guide indicates that there is a significant linkage between the attitude display and the GPS lock. Has anyone seen the behavior of the attitude display in the case of losing the GPS lock? (I'm really curious: what could GPS information possibly provide to make the pitch and roll display more accurate? I thought accelerometers and rate sensors would be the sole inputs to any artificial horizon computation?)

We need a method to null the integration errors in calculating attitude from rate and acceleration. These errors accumulate over time resulting in attitude reference drift.

Dynon D1 - your experience?

Hello!
I bought the Dynon D1 for my RV-8 which is "almost" finished! In the meantime I have flown it in my L-4 Cub.
It seem great. However, when flying straight and level in calm air it sometimes acts rather "nervously", dancing around the center position. After "maneuvers" (like Lazy-8s) it takes a few seconds to recover to wings level.
Is my D1 sick, or is that also your experience!

All the best from Denmark (where we are not allowed to fly IFR in Experimental a/c!)

Somebody tell me I didn't just get took!

I've been thinking I'd like to have one of these eventually anyway. But, wasn't really wanting to burn $1,200+ on anything that didn't contribute directly to getting my -8 in the air.

So, imagine my surprise when I was browsing ebay listings and came across this Dynon D1 for $650

This guy says "like new" with original box and accessories. I hope it works out cause I bought it!

Last edited:
Just a note in case you need it. Firmware has been updated. When you get the D1, check the version. Dynon site has the latest for download. Goes on a smart media card. Quick and easy! Though the link on their site is a bit hard to find :)

Back