What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffled by baffles

Lotto

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I'm working on assembling my engine baffles using Van's stock baffle kit on a stock IO-540. The space behind number 6 cylinder is so small I'm wondering how to get this left aft baffle section set into the area around the left upper engine mount while at the same time tucking it behind the number 6 cylinder. Anyone else have this problem? In search of an idea...

Lee Otto

Baffles

There are no tricks and no good ideas. You just have to man-handle them and then bang to fit. All baffles seem to be this way, not just the IO-540.

You will scratch them somewhat, but remember they remain under the cowl.

By the time you've scarred it up pretty good you'll find there really is an easy way to pop it in and out.

Yup

What Aerhed said. There's a way to fit that particular one in that you'll figure out - no banging or extreme bending required. After I got mine cut to fit, I had them powder coated white, which looks nice and clean plus it makes them more durable and any air leaks show up as little smoke trails - for me to plug with RTV.

Last edited:
Sorry Lee

What aerhed said.
No easy trick here, but taking them in and out will somehow become easier the third or fourth time, I just can't explain how:confused:

I found that by pushing the curved part of the baffle that hangs down below (where the tie rods connect to under the engine) it tends to pop in a little easier. Try pushing it either fwd or aft to see if that helps while you try to put them in place. Other than that, like the others said - it will go just make it fit as gently as you can :)

This sounds like something that someone should do a YouTube video on. I'm doing the baffling right now.

It is kinda like the twisted nail puzzle. It will go in but you just have to figure it out and then remember how you did it once you succeed.

Last edited:
Back