What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"small" insurance claims

jmbaute

Well Known Member
Anyone have experience with filing small (in the aviation sense of the word, a couple thousand bucks) insurance claims?

My mooney has somehow gotten a bent aileron (shop says possible wind damage?). I am wondering if it is worth it to file a claim for this. Heck, I am not even sure if it is covered. But, anyone have experience with how insurer's treat small claims? If we end up getting dropped, or with higher rates, it probably isn't worth it.

I can't wait for the RV to be done. I am so sick of paying other people good money for poor workmanship on my plane!

Thanks for sharing any experiences.

Avemco didn't raise my rates

A number of years ago my 172 got tipped up while taxing by a wind gust. I cost about 20,000.00 to get if fixed. Because it was a EAA policy I didn't even have to pay the deductible.

My flight instructor at the time decided that it was to windy to go flying, but that it would be a good time to swing the compass.

I know I should not have relied on him to judge what was the right thing to do.

Another time I let a friend use the plane and he taxied into a backhoe. Caused minor damage on the wing tip. Although I had the plane insured, he decided to fix it without the insurance company getting involved. He was afraid that it would effect his insurance rates when he finished building his plane.
He and I worked on it under the suppervision of than AP and repaired it for about $500.00. I am sure if we hadn't done the work ourselves it would have been a couple thousand.

And one last comment, when I finished building my RV9A and went to get insurance for it, one of the question on the form was if I had made an insurance claim for aviation related loss.

I don't know if this effected my rate, but I don't think so.

Kent

Last edited:
This is a very important thread.
I would like to hear from those who did claim. Like for hangar rash, ground taxi incidents... what is the aftermath?
Will one be condemmned as a pilot? Even if one was towing the plane with a towbar???

Rudder damage

I Damaged the Rudder on my 182 while I was pushing back into the hanger. Total cost to reskin the rudder and paint was about 2500 dollars. I had no problems with the ins. co. All they wanted was a photo copy of the current annual and the 100 dollar deductible. The next years Ins. premium went up maybe 20 dollars.This was about 3 years ago.

Marv Scott
RV-4

In separate incidents over the years, I damaged an elevator ($2600), a friend damaged an aileron ($2000). Last year someone doing who knows what used my plug in, shot hot metal chips onto my newly painted wing ($2200). The last time, someone from the insurance company came out and nosed around. I was told in the scope of things, these were small claims. Each paid in full. My insurance premium has changed little over that period. Wish my property taxes were that stable.

Dave

After a forced off-field landing, I filed a claim with Avemco (EAA carrier of choice at the time so no deductible). There was no damage to the plane due to the landing, but it had to be disassembled and trucked out of the field I landed in by Dallas Air Salvage. While the plane was at DAS, something came into contact with the wing struts (PA22, not RV) that caused the paint to bubble off. I also filed the paint damage claim with Avemco.

The entire episode was covered to the tune of $2600-3000 if I remember correctly. The claim had absolutely no bearing on my next premium, and Avemco still gave me the "claims free" discount in subsequent years.

Too bad their rates are so high on RV's. Otherwise, I'd still be using them.

I filed a claim you don't see every day. I didn't notify my insurance company but went after the airport owner's insurance company for wing tip damage on my Cessna when I taxied it into a hangar door. You see, the ramp was almost full at an unfamiliar airport, only one slot was open next to a hangar. As I carefully approached the parking space and lined the nosewheel up perfectly with the markings on the tarmac, I heard a scraping sound and quickly discovered my right wingtip hit a partially opened bi-fold door. An airport worker ran outside and said " You are the third guy to hit that door this year!" I asked the airport manager for and received the name of the insurance company they used. Using duct tape on the damaged wingtip, I flew back home. At first, it's insurance company was indignant. Its representative said to me "Exactly why Mr. Galati, do you expect us to pay for damage to your airplane when you as pilot in command taxied your plane into a fixed building?" He recited the usual "pilot-in-command" sole responsibility mantra. It was after I produced drawings indicating the published wingspan of a Cessna 150, pictures of the tie-down markings clearly painted on the concrete in proximity to the hangar, and the natural conflict that would occur to a high-wing aircraft when the hangar door was half open (a bi-fold door swings out when opening) that the insurance company agreed to pay for the damage.

CraigH@KRPH said:
After a forced off-field landing, I filed a claim with Avemco (EAA carrier of choice at the time so no deductible). There was no damage to the plane due to the landing, but it had to be disassembled and trucked out of the field I landed in by Dallas Air Salvage. While the plane was at DAS, something came into contact with the wing struts (PA22, not RV) that caused the paint to bubble off. I also filed the paint damage claim with Avemco.

The entire episode was covered to the tune of $2600-3000 if I remember correctly. The claim had absolutely no bearing on my next premium, and Avemco still gave me the "claims free" discount in subsequent years.

Too bad their rates are so high on RV's. Otherwise, I'd still be using them.
I was with Avemco for quite a few years before I discovered the fine print that said they only cover family members at 25%. When I called to find out why, they just said, "Well, we give you better coverage in other areas." Since my wife flies with me about 95% of the time (She's also a Pvt Pilot), I switched over to AIG and haven't looked back. I now get full coverage at a better price.

Lots of good responses here. I guess I'll give my agent a call and ask them point blank what affect it'll have. My ex-partner had a gear up in this plane, so we are already haunted by that damage claim. Truthfully though, I can't see owning this plane more than another 2 years. I could live with an extra $20 a year in premium.

Back