What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painted N number

vluvelin

Well Known Member
Finally My 7 is in Canada !!!
Now I have to put Canadian marks on and my N Number is painted

What is the best way to go about it????
How to remove painted n number???

Last edited:
I would find a way to use background colours/pattern on the vinyl for the Cdn reg marks to put over top of the US reg marks.

depends...

Probably depends on what the existing N-number looks like. What type of paint is it? How big is the N-number? Is it on a single background colour or across a multi-coloured stripe /swoosh?

Likely the simplest 'class A' method would be to block sand the painted N-number to remove any raised edges around characters, and apply a wrap over the entire area. The wrap could match the existing paint scheme and include the new C-number.

I would probably repaint the area, but that could be a lot of work, especially in the cold months.

-Roger

Last edited:
Hi Julian.
I heard from Fran?ois about your new RV-7. Quite an airplane. Hoping to see it at CSE4. I also have a RV-9 there. About your new registration, I know someone that does good work with stick-on. He did a good job on my a/c. Send me a pm is interested.

Michel

Without seeing your aircraft's paint scheme, i'd suggest finding a single-colour vinyl decal to cover the N-number with, and then use vinyl cut letters to make the Canadian reg on top of that.

If the paint scheme won't allow that, then I recommend finding a good local paint shop that can mask, prep, and paint over the N number in a way that matches. THEN use vinyl letters for the C reg.

N number

I have just contacted aircraftstencils.com in London Ont wrt placards and registration number for my RV10. Sam, one of the owners is very knowledgeable and helpful. These guys were involved with the former Skyharbour re-finishing company that was at YGD for many years and have been highly recommended by several people to me. Having said that I haven't used them yet for my aircraft (although I will be). They make stencils for painting your registration number as well as vinyl applicants. Bear in mind the vinyl will fade after a few years depending on it's exposure to sunlight.
Rick
Southampton, Ont

Hiding N Number

As the first person stated, I used a vinyl Reg. with a shadow that allowed me to hide the N number. I can still see the N number under the vinyl if I look closely but not terribly noticeable.

I'm happy with the result.

Good luck

My RV-8 had painted US registration marks, vinyl works great if you can match the background color. I ended up purchasing a Silhoulette vinyl cutter from Michaels and cut my own registration marks.

It was worth it as I can use the cutter for vinyl decals on my large gas RC planes, and the sign shop could not cut the marks for 1 month and wanted to charge me $150.

Back