What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tosten grip wiring question

miyu1975

Well Known Member
I am considering installing the new military tosten grips and had a quick wiring question. One of the options on the grip is to add a switch that can be used as a flap switch. I would like to wire the grips flap switch and keep my current flap switch on the panel. Does any know how or what this would req?

If you don't already have a flap relay, this one will work. They also sell a 3 axis relay that will control flaps, roll and pitch trim on one board.

There are ways to wire the switches such that one switch will disable another that is activated at the same time but the relay, IMO makes it easy without the head-scratching.

EDIT: The Vertical Power box will also act as the relay, if you have one.

Last edited:
As Ray noted, you will need a relay board (or two 12v relays) to implement multiple switching for the flaps. You cannot simply parallel the Vans switch and the grip switch without using relays.

I just finished a RV-7 panel and implemented what you requested. I also used the referenced relay board. An added bonus is that the board has the relays needed for roll and pitch trim operation. Good instructions come with the board, so you should have no problems.

As a side note, I always implement parallel switching for stick grip switches to handle any stick grip problems and also allow copilot activation.

I'm pretty sure I purchased my relay board from Tosten when I bought the grips. You should check out their site...

I am going with Infinity grips and they sell the same relay as I mentioned above. Tosten may do the same.

Back