What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare shield panel fan cover

nedricher

Well Known Member
I plan on installing a couple of computer fans under the glare shield for defrost and behind panel ventilation. I thought about a patern of small holes in the glare shied on top of the fan for the air flow.
If I cut one large 3 inch hole is there a cover to put on top of the glare shield that looks nice, protects the fan, and allows for good airflow that anyone knows about?

Just be careful that you do not pick a cover with a chrome or shiny finish.
I installed chrome wire covers over holes (without fans) and I have found that they provide a very nice reflection very close to my field of view.
I found a very standard wire grill for computer fans at a surplus store. Next time I would probably acid etch them and paint flat black to match my glare shield.

I went to the computer fan cover department at Home Depot and got a piece of plastic gutter cover. It's used to prevent leaves from clogging your gutter. This particular product has sort of a diamond configuration of holes. I painted it black and prosealed it to the underside of the glare shield. I don't even notice the holes being there. The fans are mounted to the glare shield supports that run from the bulkhead to the instrument panel, not to the glare shield itself. Sorry, don't recall the part numbers.

Structural integrity

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was concerned about affecting the structural integrity of the glares hole with my 3 inch holes and was looking for something substantial to add back some strength when it was screwed in place. Perhaps it's a non-issue!

Cover plate

It would be easy to put some strength back in by making a cover plate out of .040". Drill a series of holes in circles for the air outlet. Paint any color you wish and attach with screws and nuts in 4 or 8 places. I want to do this, do you know what fans work well for this app. Thanks

Don B

RV 9. Rebuild in Progress

I just used some aluminum rabbit cage type screen with 1/4" grid. Painted it black to match the skin (Sem black trim paint in a rattle can) mounted the fans under them and to be honest, haven't even noticed them. Paint the label on the fan black also if needed. Simple, cheep, effective.

I am happy with what I used. Went online and found lots of cool blingy type fan covers. Mine is shiny silver and can be seen reflecting in the window but I don't mind because I chose a very small fan and wanted the Spider to be seen. Anyway, I think it looks good, and its fun. I have the spider in now, but can change it out to be the bio-hazard, woman silhouette, and or the bat ! Check it out :

http://www.704ch.com/2011/09/defrost-and-glareshield-paint.html

Back