What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 cowl

Rdwrv4

Well Known Member
Does someone know if there is a difference and what it is between the new honeycomb cowl and the older gel coated cowl. Specifically can either be mounted to use either prop spacer
thx

RV3 cowl

After posting about the new cowl I looked at some builders pics and it looked like at least 1 used the 2.25 in prop ext and a Catto prop.I first set my spacers for 2.25 in like the other RVs I had built.When I clamped the top cowl to the plywood simulated prop flange the honey comb part of the cowl was going onto the fuselage.The oil door also wasn't in the right place.I called sabre mgf to see if he could make me a 4 inch prop ext,he informed me that for the RV3 the 4 inch ext was normal so all the problems I was having then made sense.Also the baffling plans show longer ramps for the 3.With 4 inch ext there is a lot more clearance for the alt and starter,the cowl also clears the airbox better.My cowl is one of the pink ones,the one that he put the 2.25 on was green.I don't know if there is any difference in them other than color.It would be interesting to know what other RV3 builders have done.

I used a 2.25" prop extension with a catto and didn't have any issues. Gotta love the variability in the 3's.

Really appreciate the the input I have a mid 90's whitegel cowl and would like to use a 2.25 spacer but it seems the 4" may work best. Now I need to find a early airbox.
Robin

Back