What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice please!!

Anton Lawrenz

I'm New Here
It appears I have reamed the flap attachment hole in the flap hinge bracket a fraction too large. Before priming I could push the brass bushings in and out by hand using moderate pressure. I know these bushings should be interference fit so that bushing does not rotate. After priming with epoxy primer the paint has reduced the hole size and the bushings would now have to be pushed in with a press.
1) Is this OK? I would push bushings in wet with epoxy primer.
2) Should I machine new bushings to fit.

I have asked Vans for advice as well.

Bushing

I am a little confused. Your first sentence implies that the hole is too big, but the rest tells me that the primer made the hole too small. If the latter, then just remove the primer. Don't get hung up on priming every square nanometer.

If the hole is too big you could replace the part or drill it larger and insert a bushing. The hinge bracket should hold it together but I would check with Van's first.

To clarify.....

The flap attachment hole needed to be reamed to 3/8th of an inch to accept a brass bushing which gets pressed in as an interference fit/ press fit. This needs to be a tight fit and would normally require the use of a vice to push it in. We don't want the bush rotating in the flap attachment hole.

My problem is that before priming, the fit was not tight enough to be considered an interference fit as I could push the bushing in using my hands.

The primer has effectively corrected the problem as the fit is now tight.

My question is whether the assembly is acceptable as the bushing is effectively being held tightly by primer which is sandwiched between the bushing and the hole holding it.

One idea

Anton,

I have not built an RV-10 so I don't know if you have access to do this little trick.

If the hole is only oversized by a thousanth or so here is a trick that might work. Get a 1/2 ball bearing (Ace hardware sells them) and place the ball over the 3/8 hole. Staddle the ball bearing and flap bracket with a "C"clamp and compress the ball into the hole. This will displace a small amount of material into the hole and shrink the diameter. Place the ball on the opposite side of the hole and repeat the process. This might solve your problem.

Or have an oversized bushing machined.

Food for thought, your mileage may vary.....

Anton,

I could push my bushings in by hand on both my RV-10's. It took a little pressure but if perfectly lined up they would go in and fit snugly. The flap hinge captures the bushing and is secured by several washers and a castle nut/cotter pin. The flap are not a fast moving control surface, the bushings give the flap attach bolts a hard surface to rotate in, they should not rotate in the hinge. Don't install the bushings until after the bottom skins are on, they are wider than the slot in the skins.

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to avoid uncertainties which will bug me one day when the plane is complete. Will wait for Vans response as well and then decide. May turn out to be no problem at all.

Back