What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control cable routing through firewall RV-8

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi,

Van's has some suggestions on the control cable routing that they include in the plans. I've included images below, and I have full size ones on my website if you click on the image.

I'm curious how these positions worked out for everyone?

I'm having trouble imagining that I could even move them too much, considering the limitations of the space in that area.

Thanks,
Mickey

I didn't use either of the holes listed for battery cables, instead I brought my cable thru on the other side. (rear battery)

The heater hole wasn't perfect, but it works. Mine was a QB fuse, and had the holes for the heater box punched already. The scat tubing gets a little close to the governor linkage.

Mickey,

The penetrations called out on the drawings presuppose installing an OEM engine. If that is the case, the locations should work well, at least they did for me. In fact, while the fuselage was still mounted on a rotisserie, I installed the FWF accessories, made hole penetrations, and installed the control cables before the engine was installed. Because this is an OEM installation, not a lot of time was wasted reengineering things and the overall assembly process worked out almost perfectly.

If, however, you are not planning on installing an OEM engine, it may be best to wait before drilling any holes.;)

Item of note: I installed but do not recommend using those blue high dollar control cable pass throughs like the three I installed. They are a real bear to work with. Each pass through requires 2 thin profile/oddball size wrenchs to secure and unsecure the assembly. PITA. For ease of maintenance, I now wish I had installed a simpler pass through design.

9qwyuu.jpg

Last edited:
Control cable routing

Thanks for the feedback, Gents!

Rick - I had used one of the aluminum eyeball firewall penetrations and I agree with you that they are difficult to work with.

Control Cable Routing

I am the point were I can install my throttle quadrant and cables with the fuselage still on the rotisserie. I was thinking on using the same eyeball pass throughs that Rick used. This is the first I have heard that they are difficult to work with. What do folks suggest as the best for the firewall pentration? I was planning in using the control cables that Vans provides and using the indicated routing on the plans as I am going with an OEM engine...

Cable routing

Mickey,
Those are the type I am planning on using...pretty on the firewall doesn't doesn't beat functiona...just ordered finish kit today.

Here's another vote from someone who used the blue eyeballs that Rick showed on my -8....and am going with the 6-hole ones on the -3. the blue ones are really a pain to get right!

Mickey - I used the plans-specified locations for everything, and they worked great.

Paul

Steel

I have the steel ones and I oriented them vertically in that same area as there wasn't space to go side by side on my installation and the holes were prepunched. I used the hole to the right for smoke oil line bulkhead fitting and the left hole for my alternator air cable firewall penetration.
YMMY.
FP30012011A0000H.jpg

Good luck.

control cable holes

Did mine according to Vans' plans and wish I had waited; same for heater valve hole. All would have been moved a little if I had waited. However - they are workable as is.

Anyone using AFP FI

I just received my FFWD Kit and was wondering how the pre-punched holes in the firewall workout. The one I really wonder about is the Throttle and Mixture controls. I am using the FM200 from AFP. Anyone with this set up have issues with the holes in the firewall and packets?

Cheers

What Size

Did you get the .260 from spruce (tach cable size), I just received my cables from Vans and the green cover on the cable make them .340 diameter. Did you drill out the hole in the ball part, I assume that too is steel and not aluminum.

When at Vans a fella helped me see if the steel eyeballs they sell would fit the pre-punched firewall holes and it looks like they will. Then I get home and realized the ID is .125 on the ones Vans sells. You can drill them out but I don't think I can up to the size for the green covered cables in the kit.

Thanks for the info.

I have the steel ones and I oriented them vertically in that same area as there wasn't space to go side by side on my installation and the holes were prepunched. I used the hole to the right for smoke oil line bulkhead fitting and the left hole for my alternator air cable firewall penetration.
YMMY.
FP30012011A0000H.jpg

Good luck.

Back