What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stupid ribs placement mistake...!?

CMBAero

Hey Guys,

Just finished riveting the center section ribs this week-end and by looking back at the plans again, I realized that I misunderstood the plans for the location of two ribs...

I misplaced the third rib starting from outboard by installing a Left on the left side and right on the right side...a better way to understand is that I installed the ribs all pointing to the center on each side! See picture attached...
So instead of having an F-916R and a F-916L on their respective side they are reversed... Now since the holes for the bolts are already drilled, I can't switch them sides because the hole will probably not align...

My question is, would it be okay to leave them like this or is it gonna cause me some trouble down the road and I should just order two new replacement ribs to fix this?

I looked up some builders website and found two people that did the same mistake and it doesn't look like they realized it and just kept on building...!?

I already sent and email to vans regarding this but I am curious to see what you guys think...

Thanks

20130414160206.jpg

Last edited:
I did the same thing

Its easy to make this mistake. I did this and built on after consulting with Vans that there was no structural issue with it. What I found is that the crotch stap brackets don't fit so I had to modify them with some angles to attach them to the rib flanges.

my previous post.

I meant to say the rib web spacing was not right for the crotch strap mount not the flange.

Hey Guys,

Just finished riveting the center section ribs this week-end and by looking back at the plans again, I realized that I misunderstood the plans for the location of two ribs...

I misplaced the third rib starting from outboard by installing a Left on the left side and right on the right side...a better way to understand is that I installed the ribs all pointing to the center on each side! See picture attached...
So instead of having an F-916R and a F-916L on their respective side they are reversed... Now since the holes for the bolts are already drilled, I can't switch them sides because the hole will probably not align...

My question is, would it be okay to leave them like this or is it gonna cause me some trouble down the road and I should just order two new replacement ribs to fix this?

I looked up some builders website and found two people that did the same mistake and it doesn't look like they realized it and just kept on building...!?

I already sent and email to vans regarding this but I am curious to see what you guys think...

Thanks

20130414160206.jpg

Easy to fix...just drill 'em out and move 'em around. 30 minutes tops.

Easy to fix...just drill 'em out and move 'em around. 30 minutes tops.

Can't do that... tried it...holes for the bolts does not align at all!

I don't plan on using 5 point harness so if Van's approve this to be left as is without structural issue...I won't change them!

Please reconsider.....

Let me strongly recommend that you DO install the 5-point harness.
The fifth point is very important. It holds the lap belt in the low position where it needs to be. Without the 5th point, the shoulder harness tends to pull the lap belt up around the belly.
The other thing the 5th point does is prevent "submarining" under the lap belt in case of an accident.

Let me strongly recommend that you DO install the 5-point harness.
The fifth point is very important. It holds the lap belt in the low position where it needs to be. Without the 5th point, the shoulder harness tends to pull the lap belt up around the belly.
The other thing the 5th point does is prevent "submarining" under the lap belt in case of an accident.

I second Mel's point here. If you do not have the crotch strap, your head will hit the canopy often! Without the crotch strap, the seat belts do little to keep you down in the seat and in turbulence, you will rise up and hit your head. Crotch strap highly recommended for this and also the safety reason Mel refers to...

Back