What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle and mixture cable length

Rustic29

I'm installing the throttle and mixture cables provided by Vans w/ standard IO-540 and they appear to be too short (approx 1" to 1 1/2" ). They don't reach the holes in the support bracket. Already using the longer cable lengths provide by Vans.
Has anyone else had this challenge??

Yes. I made mine fit by re-routing them, moving the throttle control arms, etc.
I went back and forth with Vans a few times, couldn't figure out the reason. But I think a search will show that others have had the same problem.

Thanks to Ivan K (see length difference as pertains to type of panel you have):

Ok Guys here are the details on the engine control cable re-order.

The Mfg. is ACS Products. This company was started by the same man who started Aircraft Spruce and was originally part of that company but is now a separate entity.

These are the part numbers:

Blue Knob VProp A-1760-30-0745-V with 2.5" stroke

Red Knob Mixture A-1760-20-0535-V with 2.5" stroke

This is a special non refundable order at $159.95 each so be sure that this is what you need. The part numbers I have given here gives you cables two inches longer than the cables you get from Vans, this is what I used and they worked fine. If I had to do it again I believe I would, like the throttle cable, make them 3 inches longer which would make the installation even easier.

If you plan a std Vans panel order them 2" longer. If you use CF panel from Aerosport Products order them 3" longer.

To order cables three inches longer change the last number for the blue knob from 0745 to 0755 (75.5") and for the red knob from 0535 to 0545 (54.5")

Keep in mind that if you plan on using the CF instrument panel from http://www.aerosportproducts.com/ then this brings the attach point of these cables in the cockpit back almost one inch which makes longer cables a definite requirement.

To order call Anthony Garcia at Aircraft Spruce at (951) 372-9555 ex. 456 or e-mail him at [email protected] and give him quotation # 249314

Phil B.
Salt Lake City

Cable lengths

Yep, we all have had this problem. I don't know why Vans sends them too short. You can make them fit but not by the plans. Improvise is my suggestion unless you want to buy new ones.

No Custom Length!

There is another option to buying a custom length cable or cables.
Buy the next length up that is available from ACS for half the price of a custom length cable.
These will be too long but allow you to route them in a manner so as to keep them far away from exhaust pipes and other interference.
In my case, I gently routed a S turn into the throttle cable to accommodate the
the extra length. Yes, it will add some extra weight but opens a wide range of routing possibilities. If you have to buy 3 custom length cables it will set you back more than $450 not only this time but also next time when you replace them and you won't have to deal with the hassle of ordering custom length.

I suppose.

But not all cables are created equal. I've talked to several 10 drivers who have had to replace cables already. That's a task I don't want and will happily pay 3x for a cable with longevity. There are places where I jus won't go cheap and these cables are one of those places.

Phil

Same

Phil,
the stock cables at ACS are the same as the custom made ones, made by the same company. The custom length costs more because it's custom made to length.
This is not about being cheap, but being able to accommodate a few extra inches of cable in the engine compartment and it is precisely because one day you'll have to replace them and you won't have to wait for custom made ones.

Because I used the V4A5 engine, my mixture & throttle cables needed to be longer than the standard Vans sizes, I purchased the stocked length cables from Spruce and ordered them long enough to allow for EZ routing with plenty of clearance from the exhaust. There was no way I was going to pay 3X the price for custom sized and the stocked cables are the same as the ACS custom sized and the Vans cables.

Phil,
the stock cables at ACS are the same as the custom made ones, made by the same company.

No they're different. ACS may make Van's cables, but that doesn't mean they make all cables. You can order custom lengths, custom hi-temp sleeves, custom throws, custom end fittings, and even custom lubricants that perform in hi-temp environments or low-temp environments better than others. You can even choose how they operate to be custom; my throttle cable looks like a regular throttle cable but you can actually twist it (similar to a vernier) and make tweaks to your throttle by simply twisting the black knob. It is a very nice feature to have.

You can get custom ones built by by McFarlane.
You can get them built from CableCraft.
There are a few other places out there too.

There's not anything wrong with ACS cables and I'd order them before I tried making Van's stock cables work. But there are a number of -10's who have replaced their cables already because the heat around the heater boxes have melted the sleeves and more importantly broken down the lubricant within the cable. At that point they become very stiff to operate.

My body bends slightly more than a toothpick before it snaps and I really don't want to crawl back in there to replace cables when I could just do it now and not worry about it for another 20 years.

The good part about experimental aviation is that we all get to pick and choose the places where we want to spend a little extra or save a little extra. This is just one of those spots where I chose to spend a little extra.

Phil

Last edited:
Thanks to Ivan K (see length difference as pertains to type of panel you have):

Ok Guys here are the details on the engine control cable re-order.

The Mfg. is ACS Products. This company was started by the same man who started Aircraft Spruce and was originally part of that company but is now a separate entity.

Our answers are to your previous post of ordering custom made cables from ACS wich you say you ordered.
Anyway, do as you wish, I was just hoping to help somebody save a few dollars.

Phil,
What panel do you have, and where did you get your cables? I am about to start the engine hookup and have not tried to put them in yet. I am using the Aerosport panel and a lever type throttle quadrant

Bill,

I've posted a source in CA for the throttle quadrant cables that Dave Saylor turned me on to. I don't recall if is was here or on Matronics. Search both to validate. I was able to upgrade the sheath one grade level for better heat resistance with a significant discount. They are Cablecraft parts. I'm not a home, so I can't look up them up at the moment.

McFarlane can supply them too, bu t will cost more.

Bob

Bill,

I have the Aerosport panel, Airflow Performance Induction System, and I'm using vernier controls. So my setup isn't very comparable when it comes to yours.

Bob is right about CableCraft being able to build them for a more reasonable price. If I were using a quadrant and wanted a higher-end cable, then they're a good choice. They offer the hi-temp sleeves, etc.

I chose McFarlane for mine because they could build the vernier-type throttle that I wanted. They call it vernier-assist. It's a really neat feature and I'll post a video later this weekend for those who are considering vernier controls.

McFarlane is certainly the most expensive, but I'm happy with the choice I made. (Plus they have a lifetime guarantee for lubrication too.)

Phil

Last edited:
Just got home and found the info.......

For those with quadrants:

Per Dave Saylor:

I replaced the stock cables with 47" for the prop, 51" for mixture and 72"
for the prop. I got the cables from a local cablecraft distributor. Also,
ask for the highest temp rating you can get. The green cables from Vans
aren't the best. A set of replacement cables should be $200 or less.
The vendor is California Push-Pull in Chico, CA. Talk to Frank.

http://www.push-pull.com/

176-VTT-2-51
176-VTT-2-47
176-VTT-2-72

These are for the mixture, throttle and prop respectively. I highly recommend you validate your measurements. Different accessories and routing could cause deviations in cable lengths.

Ask for Frank if you need a live person. He knows what they're going on.

The cable tags will say "not for use on aircraft", which usually means they know you're using it on an aircraft

-----

Hope this helps!

bob

Thanks Bob, I am going to try to route the stock vans tomorrow to verify how much longer I am going to need.

Most find that they just need about three inches longer than the factory specs, but that assumes similiar accessories and cable routing.

I fell into that other category, since my fuel controller is mounted on a elbow and is horizontal.

Bob

Here is what I came up with for cable lengths today. Aerosport CF std. panel with throttle quadrant and standard AFP fuel servo.

Throttle - 49.5"
Mixture - 53.5"
Propeller- 74"

I ordered from above recommended source for $204.

Thanks for your help Bob

Bill or others, do you have the thickness/diamemter of the cable with the higher temperature rating? I want to make sure I order the right sized firewall eyeball joints. If I get the cables first, I might wind up with the wrong length since I dont have the joints to go through and vice versa.

Mark,
I am not at home, but the higher temp black replacement cables that I ordered were the same diameter as the vans green cables and worked with the ACS firewall pass thru that I had ordered for the stock vans cables. I will be home tomorrow eve and will measure them when I get there

Has anyone seen the product sheet for the cablecraft 176 series? I see the standard stuff vans uses (184) and the higher temp BlueMax, but nothing with this 176 code designation.

http://cablecraft.com/cablecraft_literature.html

Ever come across the spec sheet for this Mark? I can't find it either, and CA Push Pull is recommending this but can't offer a spec sheet. They also say the the 350F rated Blue Max (series 795-6) has some kind of a "design flaw". Just doesn't smell right to me...

All cables to shrt

Just fitting all cables and there about 2 inch to short with aerosport panel
What have other done.
Can you still use Vans vernier cable buy re routing them
Or do I have to replace?
Need help
Charlie

Just fitting all cables and there about 2 inch to short with aerosport panel
What have other done.
Can you still use Vans vernier cable buy re routing them
Or do I have to replace?
Need help
Charlie

That is why the Aerosport manuals states that you'll need approximately 3" longer cables. With that said, the answer is that it really depends on a variety of factors, such as, your engine model and how you are routing the cables FWF. Most folks find that 3" is adequate.

Many (including me) have purchased cables from push-pull.com. Be sure to get the black sheathing, it's rated at a higher temp that the green ones from Van's. They are both Cablecraft cables.

Cable Length

I have an Aerosport panel and used the 3" cable extensions from ACS for the prop and mixture, ACS part #10376-3 and VANS RV-7 50.5" throttle cable. I had to make brackets to extend the mounting locations for the prop and mixture cables. Seems to work good, but not flying yet. See pics of the bracket mods.

Push- Pull told me they no longer made the cables for the RV-10. That was over a year ago. Would not hurt to ask again.

2v8fyqa.jpg

2s1m7pd.jpg

Eulice Curington
RV-10, N104EW Registered

Push- Pull told me they no longer made the cables for the RV-10. That was over a year ago. Would not hurt to ask again.

Ah, that may the secret. Don't ask for RV-10 cables. Ask for the Cablecraft part number. Their cables do come with the same disclaimer that the Van's cables come with advising that they aren't certified for aircraft.

There is one gentleman there and I don't recall his name that understands what we use the cables for. The rest of the company will tell you they don't make aircraft cables.

The Vans RV -10 control cables are:

CT Black 47.5
CT Blue 72.5
CT Red 51.5

For a metal panel with vernier controls would a black 49.5, blue 74.5, and red 53.5 cable sizes be comfortable sizes for a standard engine configuration?

For standard push/pull engine controls the Van's listed cables for prop and mixture work. The throttle cable is a little short. I used the cable listed on Van's site for the RV-7 with an IO-360 (50.5"). This worked well.

Recommend running the cables through a small diameter fire sleeve as protection from radiant heat.

Carl

Back