What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N210LM got air under the tires today!!

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
P6250009.jpg

O.K., not what you thought. But all I needed for now.

Here is some shots of the reason for the low flight:rolleyes:

Aircraft leveled pitch, and roll. This fixture holds the pant level also, adjustable feet allow the fixture to be fine tuned for sloped floor.

P6250004.jpg

The pant rides on a couple of #30 drills, allows the pant to move on the roll axis to align with the tire vert centerline.

P6250005.jpg

Here it is with the front and rear half of the pant held in place by the pins (drills).

P6250006.jpg

As can be seen here, each adjustment of the pant fit, required a re-positioning of the jig----line on the alum angle is centered, matches up with line on floor that is drawn off from fuse center line.

P6250007.jpg

Test fit of leg fairing, and cuffs. Also, you can see the blue chalk line for the fuse center----plumb bob fore/aft to determine line location.

P6250008.jpg

I did move the pant forward a bit, this moved the outboard attach point aft about 1/2" so the screw would clear the split line in the pant.

More later, thanks for looking.

Last edited:
looks really interesting Mike. How do you determine where the plane will cruise in level flight for a level fore/ aft pitch? I suppose there is not a tremendous difference between a climbing pitch and a cruising pitch with regard to the airflow? you are trying to align the pants with cruising pitch, right?

Plans say to use the door sill (f1015c, IIRC) to set level, and set pants to that.

Just showing a way to accomplish this task.

You got me!

I do have air in the tires....but not yet under the tires.
Great timing Mike, just contemplating how to accomplish the mounting of the wheel pants. I suppose I could just read the instruction manual.
Nice set up, a great idea for a one man job.

Great idea, I think I will do the same. How did you tie down the tail?

Like this.

P5240057.jpg

P5150053.jpg

I used the largest anchor I could find, and set it as deep as possible.

First couple times we raised the plane were done with a lot of caution.

Nice set up, a great idea for a one man job.

Thanks for the comment;)

Actually I had a buddy helping with this, and the idea is stolen form another friend.

This could easily have been done solo, but having someone else is sure a plus.

Interesting session on aligning the wheel pants, the airplane will be fast.

I like all the colors in the work area, sort of a joyous, day-care center effect. :)

RAMair installation

I noticed you got the RAMair snorkel (Rod Bower product)..... I too have the same but for my RV8 (still under construction.... but bought the RAMair while our Aussie dollar was doing good against the greenback.

Any scuttlebugs on the installation?..... is the polished inlet ring simply glued to the intake port of the snorkel?

....and yes you had me fooled about the "air under the tyres (tires in your lingo)" :p

Any scuttlebugs on the installation?..... is the polished inlet ring simply glued to the intake port of the snorkel?

Peter, yes, the ring is glued in. Pretty much the only issues with installation were due to the fact I changed a vertical induction setup to the horizontal. The cable operated butterfly valve did cause me a bit of a headache, pretty tight clearance in the area where it is.

I was lucky to have Rod do the development for the 10 using my cowl ----- he did all the work there.

Here is a thread I posted a while back that documents most of the installation.

Take care.

More info

Here is how I located the holes in the fiberglass for the mounting screws.

I used a night light on an extension cord that could fit inside the pant while on the jig.

P6280009.jpg

The light was aligned to be perpendicular to the hole by using a long #30 drill.

P6280004.jpg

Here is what you get when the pant is on.

P6280005.jpg

Lower bracket, same game.:rolleyes:

P6280007.jpg

P6280008.jpg

You can also see the black dot, where the top hole is going to be drilled.

More later.

Well done Mike!
I see that you still have the teeny weeny axle extension. Maybe you should get rid of it as I have seen reports of it failing. :)

I love learning from you folks!

You sure had me, too, Mike. I got all excited when I saw the post title with your name by it.

Thanks for sharing all of the tips that seem so common sensical (if that is a word). I read the ideas presented in the forum and are usually humbled. Do you have a website documenting your build?

And the work is beautiful, of course. :)

You sure had me, too, Mike.

Hey, I gotta have a little fun now and then;)

Thanks for sharing all of the tips that seem so common sensical (if that is a word). I read the ideas presented in the forum and are usually humbled.

Thanks for the kind words. Many of the ideas I share here are from my buddy Steve Barnard, (homebuilder extraordinaire), who has been a real inspiration to me, when it comes to building aircraft. Some are my own, I usually try to give credit where it is due.

Do you have a website documenting your build?

No, have never taken the time to figure out how to do that. I just post things here at VAF. I will be doing a thread about wheel pants in a while, show some more tips to make (hopefully) things easier for folks.

And the work is beautiful, of course. :)

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Back