What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crazy glue / canopy campatibility

DaveLS

Well Known Member
Is crazy glue compatible with our acrylic canopies?

I want to glue part of the canopy skirt down before glassing.

How about fuel tank sealant I.e. proseal?

Thanks - Dave

There is a long, successful history of using proseal on canopies.

Another solution is Lexel, which is an adhesive/sealant designed for acrylics and for sale at many hardware and big box stores.

I wouldn't get super glue near a canopy.

And Sikaflex, used by a lot of us instead of screws/rivets. And for at least one or two of us, instead of fiberglass.

I got mine from Jamestown Distributors (marine supply).

Charlie

I had the same question

So I asked the fellow who makes our canopies- Jeff at Airplane Plastics. He made up some samples, and actually found one brand that works. I’ll have to go to the shop to see which one he picked - memory isn’t working yet today. Duro brand comes to mind...

One thing I did pick up from his conversation was that ‘laminating’ resin is not what we want to be using against the plexi. He told me that it simply peels off easily - his experience with damaged parts coming in for replacements - the layups peel off easily unless the builder used West System, or something similar.

I used West System when I built my 1st RV around 1990 - it is still around (2000+hrs) and the canopy attach has not let go or cracked. I assure you, that was pure luck - I did not know I was using the Right Stuff.

His suggestion was to make the normal layup using wax on the plexi, then peel it off and reattach using the West system.

How did I come to find this out? I let another fellow fly my plane, and it came back with a corner of the windshield fairing loose. Apparently, my buddy used a bit more gusto when closing the canopy, and popped the fairing corner loose from the plexi. I used the prescribed brand of isocyanate and a insulin needle and fixed things, but if it happens again, it will be New Layup Time for me. Oh boy.

At least I’ll know how to do it properly...if I can remember the process...uhhhh..

Lock-tite is the stuff you cannot get anywhere near plexi.

Last edited:
I used the prescribed brand of isocyanate and a insulin needle and fixed things, but if it happens again, it will be New Layup Time for me. Oh boy.

At least I?ll know how to do it properly...if I can remember the process...uhhhh..

Lock-tite is the stuff you cannot get anywhere near plexi.

Isocyanates are the very bad for you stuff that is in a lot of paints now a days, so I think you probably mean cyanoacrylate. The compound technical name for most "super glues".

I personally would be very careful using any cyanoacrylate glues without doing a test first. I have heard bad stories. Lexel seems to always be a safe choice, as well as epoxy and tank sealant.

I put packing tape on my canopy and laid up carbon fiber on it. After curing, I popped it off, shaped, sanded, removed the packing tape, and used West epoxy to secure it. Has been holding well.

FP01102016A0002K.jpg

View my website for more pictures.

You are right!

Isocyanates are the very bad for you stuff that is in a lot of paints now a days, so I think you probably mean cyanoacrylate. The compound technical name for most "super glues".

I personally would be very careful using any cyanoacrylate glues without doing a test first. I have heard bad stories. Lexel seems to always be a safe choice, as well as epoxy and tank sealant.

Yep - I meant to use the right chemical - cyanoacrylate. Jeff did the testing (6 different glue brands) and sent the test samples along with the extra pieces to re-check. Not all Crazy Glue is created the same!

I would think that the use of this glue would require certain characteristics, but it did the trick in re-attaching the windshield - so far!

I put packing tape on my canopy and laid up carbon fiber on it. After curing, I popped it off, shaped, sanded, removed the packing tape, and used West epoxy to secure it. Has been holding well.

When you refer to West epoxy as your fairing-to-metal atch method, is that the same 105/205 epoxy used as a fiberglass or carbon fiber binder?

Back