What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 49-03: Attaching fuel line

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
How the heck do you torque down the fuel line where it connects to the firewall? I am using the Aircraft Specialty lines and not the Van's lines. The fittings are -06. I measured the nut and it is 21/32. Very odd. I assume that one is supposed to torque these down with a crowfoot.

Once again, the nose gear has to come off to torque down this nut. Wonderful. I assume that to torque down that you have to hold the fitting side with a wrench and torque the other side with a crowfoot. Or am I wrong?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Ken,

11/16 (22/32) wrenches seemed to work fine. I don't recall having to use a crow-foot there, though I did on the side of fuselage fittings.

I think the sequence was to install the firewall fitting first (using some pro-seal) and tighten it down while holding the engine side elbow at the correct angle with an open end wrench taped to something to prevent movement. Then while still holding the elbow in position, attach and torque the line to the boost pump, then the line to the mechanical fuel pump

Generally, one flat after hand tight is good for the B-Nut. so using a torque wrench might not be required. There are other locations that you might come to a close space issue.

Back