What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap double flare tool

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
Could one use the double-flare die from one of the cheap automotive double-flare kits to make the lip, and then use the proper 37 degree for the flare?

The Parker Rolo Flare Tool does not make double flares, right?

Finn

might work

Might work, but in the big scheme of things, the tool is not that expensive, and you could resell it after your project or get some buddies to pitch in for one.

I have the mastercool tool, and it does make beautiful double flares.

My experience

My experience when i was a kid working in a aerospace lab is that re-flaring caused cracking. But we were using stainless lines, not aluminum. Seems the right tools are cheap enough anyway.

Might work, but in the big scheme of things, the tool is not that expensive, and you could resell it after your project or get some buddies to pitch in for one.

I have the mastercool tool, and it does make beautiful double flares.
Not sure I'd consider $200 "not that expensive", and the one I found on Eastwood was 45 degree, not 37 degree. Oh, I see, you have to add a $105 37 degree flare die set.

I must be living in a different world.

Finn

Yeah, me too, Finn.

But there really isn't much need for a double flare (single is good enough for certified stuff), and inexpensive 37* tools are available that work just fine.
Charlie

Last edited:
Per AC43-13

"...In forming flares, cut the tube ends square, file smooth, remove all burrs and sharp edges, and thoroughly clean. The tubing is then flared using the correct 37-degree aviation flare forming tool for the size of tubing and type of fitting. A double flare is used on soft aluminum tubing 3/8-inch outside diameter and under, and a single flare on all other tubing..."

This is in the Hydraulic tubing section for low pressure applications.

I think most folks just use a single flare. I opted to buy the double flare tool, Master Cool brand, and have been happy with the results...It was the 37 degree kit no additional dies were required...

Double flares do work, but if the tube is going to break, its behind the flare. If you dont 'over flare' or over tighten the flare cone, it wont thin the tube at the flare and potentially crack it.

Tom

Yeah, me too, Finn.

But there really isn't much need for a double flare (single is good enough for certified stuff), and inexpensive 37* tools are available that work just fine.
Charlie

I've been using one of the really cheap single flare tools. It does leave some marks on the tube though. Filing off the sharp points on the tool and wrapping the tube with masking tape it can be made to work. Also handy it tight places.

I am tempted by the PARKER 37? FLARING TOOL, currently on sale, $104 shipped from ATS with the 5% newcomer discount
https://aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=212FB

The MasterCool really is cool. Used one on e-bay starting bid $180.
But I'm too cheap.

Finn

Look at GAHCO, and the RFT37. GREAT TOOL, and with the narrow flare bar, you can flare closer to the bend on the tube.

Tom

Back