What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

sizing cherrymax

A #28 drill is 0.1405 inch diam. and should do the job.

A 9/64 is 0.1406 inch and should also work.

If you drill sloppy holes a #29 drill is 0.136 inch and might work, but will be tight if you make a nice, clean hole. :)

Just last week I installed about a hundred oversized CherryMax’s in an upgrade project on our Tundra. I was going through some thick materials, so was using -4 length rivets, and couldn’t get them to go through #28 holes - had to go to #27, and had to give them a nice push with the puller to get them to seat - in other words, a nice tight fit.

RTFM

OK, I made a mistake and actually answered the OP question.

I should have checked the CherryMax data sheet :D

http://www.cherryaerospace.com/docs/catalogs/CA-1011.pdf

The 0.140 quoted in the OP is NOT the hole size, but it the diameter of the actual rivet. Not only that, but it has a -0.001 and a +0.003 tolerance.

This gives an actual minimum hole size of 0.143 inches, which is nicely met by a #27 drill as previously mentioned which is 0.144 inches.

Sometimes you have to go back the the spec. sheets to get a real answer rather than just reading a question...:)

yep, when i read the description on acs i thought ''diameter'' meant the hole. reading it again it logically would be describing the rivet.

Discrepancies

yep, when i read the description on acs i thought ''diameter'' meant the hole. reading it again it logically would be describing the rivet.

That's why going to the manufacturer's data sheet is always better than using the ACS description...:)

I was more concerned that the drill numbers I gave did not agree with actual users and needed to investigate further.

Back