What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reordering screwed up parts. Now, or with next Kit?

Reordering Parts. Now? or with Fuse kit later?

• Order extras with the part now?

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Wait for the fuse kit and order everything at once.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bullseye

Well Known Member
So I'm 50% through the wings, but need to rebuild the rudder due to my stupidity a few years ago having dropped it off the table.

After selling the kit, then buying it back, I was thinking the rudder rebuild would be a good way to get back in the mood before tackling more expensive pieces like the wing skins.

However, I need to re-order the R-916 trailing edge wedge.

If I order this part alone, I'm sure it'll be quite a bit in shipping so I was thinking of ordering some extra parts now.

I am going to order the fuse kit sometime in the next year, and could probably stick some of the other extras in with that kit.

Should I:

1) Order the TE wedge now, and try to save on shipping by purchasing some of the known extras now (Dual Brake System, Electric Aileron Trim, Electric Elevator Trim Kit, NACA low drag sidewall mount hose interface, 6 feet of 2" fresh air ducting tube, 2" hose Clamp, VHF Antennae)

2) Go back to working on the wings, and buy the TE Wedge when the fuse gets ordered (or if I screw up something else on the wings.)

It seems worth a few dollars in shipping to keep going on the rudder, but the purist "minimize shipping" philosophy would be to add some patience and wait.

Thoughts?

I am the type that when I messed up, I bit the bullet, ordered the parts, and rebuilt or fixed it. I couldn't move on without fixing it right then and now. Just how I work. I can't stand having it on my mind and probably pay a price for that.

Whenever I was in this situation I bit the bullet and ordered it right away. I knew the shipping would be ugly, I called it "stupid tax" and figured that if I paid enough "stupid tax" I would get smarter and pay more attention to details.

Didn't quite work out that way, but it was a great theory. :rolleyes:

I am with the others. I order right away, when the "crime" is still fresh in my brain, its easy to get it done the right way.
Besides, if you ask for the cheapest shipping possible and say that you are in NO hurry, its not too bad. The folks at Van's are just awesome.

I've got a better Idea. Due to my lysdexia :D, I ordered a R-916 trailing edge for my RV-14. You may have it. Still has the label on it and is sitting on a shelf waiting for somebody who needs it.

I'm up the road a couple hours from you. PM me and we'll figure it out. Was in Wichita on Saturday and made a trip over to The Yard. Wish I had known, I would have thrown it in.

Fred

I've got a better Idea. Due to my lysdexia :D, I ordered a R-916 trailing edge for my RV-14. You may have it. Still has the label on it and is sitting on a shelf waiting for somebody who needs it.

I'm up the road a couple hours from you. PM me and we'll figure it out. Was in Wichita on Saturday and made a trip over to The Yard. Wish I had known, I would have thrown it in.

Fred

Thanks Fred! PM'ed.

As a pay it forward, I want to donate my 2nd inherited practice kit. Do you (or anyone else) know of someone deserving? I'll even ship it for free CONUS.

Depends on the part

It depends on your personality and the part. If the part was needed at the beginning or in the middle of finishing the section, I would re-order. If it's the last part to install in the section and was expensive to ship, I may wait and re-order with the next kit. We have plenty of other AL pieces to work on :)

For example, I had to re-order the VS rear spar & doubler because I drilled holes where they're not needed. Due to the part's length, the lowest shipping cost was $110 to ship the $45 rear spar. I decided to wait and ship the rear spar with the QB kit.

This is just one person's opinion, please do what you're comfortable with.

YMMV

I am with "dejavu"

I have exactly one 15$ part I kind of made look ugly during my empennage kit. Vans said just use it and move on. I have decided to wait until the next order with vans... sure I couldn't finish the part but then again it is just a handful of rivets easily done in a few minutes...

I live in Europe so I have to ship everything over the big pond. 15$ turn into 150$ quite easily. Since this part isn't going to hold me back from flying my empennage this summer I will accept to deal with my impatience...:cool:

Thanks Fred! PM'ed.

As a pay it forward, I want to donate my 2nd inherited practice kit. Do you (or anyone else) know of someone deserving? I'll even ship it for free CONUS.

I was just about to order one of these! Just getting my workshop setup and started the tool box kit - and was ready to order the wing practice kit..

So.. if you're looking for a builder in need... I volunteer!

Back