What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X engine run-up (vibration) test failing

bob888

Well Known Member
My ADAHRS keeps failing the acceleration (top line) part of the engine run-up test (but passes the other two elements of the test). The unit is mounted on the sub panel behind the instrument panel (not on the firewall) just in front of the pilot. I have added a doubler and even tried the tie down with ratchet straps while testing as suggested by one post on this site. That said, all seems to be working fine and the engine/plane do not seem to have a detectable excessive vibration. I am thinking of just giving up and ignoring this problem. Have others done so and had a problem down the road? Alternative solutions other than moving the ADAHRS (which would require major rewiring and and replumbing the pitot/static/AOA)?

I haven't had that issue. Mine passed right away. I have noticed recently (not sure if it was due to a software update or something) that during power up, my "ADHRS Aligning" sequence now takes along time. Like 30seconds to a minute. Every now and then it fails and it restarts, always fixes itself the second time. I let it it complete before I start the engine. Kind of strange.

Mine is in the same spot as you describe with a doubler. It passed fine.

If you're planning on having your prop dynamically balanced, maybe you could go ahead and have that done. Could make the difference. After all, it is on the list of potential causes for ADAHRS vibration test failure in Garmin's install manual.

I mounted my G3X legacy ADAHARS on the passenger side on a mount I fabricated between the IP lower support bracket and the first bulkhead. I had no issues getting mine calibrated as others have stated.

AHARS FAILS ALIGH

I haven't had that issue. Mine passed right away. I have noticed recently (not sure if it was due to a software update or something) that during power up, my "ADHRS Aligning" sequence now takes along time. Like 30seconds to a minute. Every now and then it fails and it restarts, always fixes itself the second time. I let it it complete before I start the engine. Kind of strange.

John
I had that happen to my system. Go into the config page and look at the software load for your AHARS and record the version. I'm in London. Back Wednesday late. Call Thursday and I believe I can point you to a fix once I get to my notes. Alternatively send a message to [email protected]
I suspect it may be an old version of the boot block that is causing your problems
Bob Markert
303 882-7410

Last edited:
Here's another finding...the engine passes the test fine when run on the mag only but fails when run on the Electroair ignition. What's that about???

Back