What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RVs around Boston MA?

Westerhuis

Hi all,

I am based in the UK where I co-own an RV8 (G-RRVV ex. N713MB) which I love flying (I part-owned an RV6 before that.)

I am currently in Boston MA for work and I wondered if there are any RVs not too far from Boston and anyone keen to show me around their aircraft and possible go for a flight with me (of course all expenses paid.) Would be great to see some of MA from the air.

Although less relevant, I have an appointment with the Boston FSDO on Thursday to hopefully get an Amercian airmanship certificate. If anyone could recommend a nice GA airfield with flying school around Boston so I can do a check-ride then that would be appreciated too.

I am around during the weekend of 8/9 October. Fingers crossed the weather holds.

Thanks

Rogier

A lot of them around Boston. You will hear from somebody soon. Good luck with certificate conversion!

Hi all,

I am based in the UK where I co-own an RV8 (G-RRVV ex. N713MB) which I love flying (I part-owned an RV6 before that.)

I am currently in Boston MA for work and I wondered if there are any RVs not too far from Boston and anyone keen to show me around their aircraft and possible go for a flight with me (of course all expenses paid.) Would be great to see some of MA from the air.

Although less relevant, I have an appointment with the Boston FSDO on Thursday to hopefully get an Amercian airmanship certificate. If anyone could recommend a nice GA airfield with flying school around Boston so I can do a check-ride then that would be appreciated too.

I am around during the weekend of 8/9 October. Fingers crossed the weather holds.

Thanks

Rogier

Rogier,

Beverly Airport (KBVY) is a nice, towered, quiet GA field that has the sort of flying school you are looking for (Beverly Flight Center). Beverly is on the "North Shore" about 12 or so miles from Boston.

There's also Bedford (KBED) which is a busier airport and has a couple of flying schools.

Boston airfields

Ditto on Beverly (KBVY). It's a great field to fly out of. Outside of Boston class Bravo, but towered and all the bells and whistles needed for a good training experience. It's also only 30 minutes from the city (no traffic). Getting to Hanscom/Bedford, the other field mentioned, can be a horror show thanks to traffic.

A little further up the coast is KLWM, Lawrence. Similar to KBVY in many respects, just further away. I haven't flown there much, so can't provide details.

Finally there is 2B2 which is a very small field 30 minutes north of KBVY that offers quick access to the beautiful coast, a very quiet training environment, a grass runway plus pavement and a couple of good instructors.

If you go south, KPYM has a thriving general aviation community and a bunch of RV guys. You will probably hear from them soon. (Edit: I see John just responded. Great guy with a beautiful airplane. From his base you can get to the the south shore sights, Cape Cod and the islands. Give him a ring.)

My RV isn't done, so I can't take you up in that. I settle for renting these days, so if you don't mind a Cessna I am happy to show you the coast. It's one of the prettiest coastlines I have seen anywhere in the world.

Rogier,

Shoot me an email and perhaps we can arrange a tour of the North Shore, A bit of New Hampshire and a bit of Maine in my -8

Roger,

I'm finishing my RV-7 at Nashua, NH (KASH), just north of Boston. I can't offer you a ride yet, but I'm always happy to host visitors if you want a (non-flying) RV fix.

If you're staying close to Boston, you might check out East Coast Aero Club - http://eastcoastaeroclub.com - for your training. They're at Hanscom Field (KBED), just down the road from the FSDO. They have a lot of aircraft on the line and a large group of instructors as well.

I live very close to Hanscom, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you need help with locating a school.

Dave

Last edited:
Lawrence airport, LWM, actually in North Andover, is a very nice airport. EAA Chapter 106 is located there on the north ramp. It has over 100 members and several have RVs, among other types. In fact, the monthly meeting is being held this coming Saturday. All are welcome.

LWM also has several flight schools. Bedford (BED) has, the East Coast Aero Club, mentioned earlier, and Executive Flyers. Both are nice outfits to work with.

Norwood airport (OWD) is another great nearby airport worth considering. East Coast has a branch there, also.

Back