What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 belly skin

Rdwrv4

Well Known Member
I'm just about to take a piece of .032 cut it in half and rivet it back together to make the floor skin under the seat and I am wondering if I can leave it together and install it in one piece, has anyone tried this?

The skin under the seat has a compound curvature. You will have to cut so there is an overlap on the center rib. I also cut relief slots on the under skin along the center rib to allow the two skins to join without wrinkling along that joint. Watch out in the area under the control mixer. It is difficult to get a tight fit in this area since there is no rib under the skins.

Thx for the response

not sure I understand, ,you slit it ? in the center? from where to where?

I was thinking of using 4 seat ribs instead of 3 so if I split it like an RV4 I could put a splice plate over the center also with 4 ribs the compound might be less ,

My kit had two pieces supplied for the cockpit floor, it is a compound curvature and would be impossible to fit as one piece I think. I put a slit in the fwd floor (single) piece so it would fit better on the curvature at the F303 /cockpit floor overlap. (not done when this pic was taken)
2dtdjm0.jpg
[/IMG]

Back