What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line connections

Rdwrv4

Well Known Member
I fitted the wings all is good ,but When I went to put on the fuel line from the tank to the valve I discovered I may have to drill a clearance hole for AN fitting nut, the fuel tanks go on and off easily. But if the nut is on the fuse I can't get the tank fuel fitting by the nut. Actually I can on one side and could force the other side but both would be a paint scratching experience, I have a straight AN bulkhead fitting on the sender plate. I do not want to drill a 3/4 plus size hole but if this is normal I will, . Is this normal?

Why not use a new cover plate and move the bulkhead fitting?

You are getting close to the end and are installing the systems. Take your time and do it right.

great photos and info

moving the fitting probably would not help it , changing it to a 90 ? may not either, the clearance between the tank cover plate and the fuselage skin is the problem not enough room to retract the nut and get the tank fitting by it. A shorter bulkhead fitting would, I only need about 0.1 inch more clearance. If I enlarge the hole I could retract the nut completely into the fuselage and it would work fine. but it would be a larger hole than I would like to put in the fuselage. Is this normal?

great photos and info

moving the fitting probably would not help it , changing it to a 90 ? may not either, the clearance between the tank cover plate and the fuselage skin is the problem not enough room to retract the nut and get the tank fitting by it. A shorter bulkhead fitting would, I only need about 0.1 inch more clearance. If I enlarge the hole I could retract the nut completely into the fuselage and it would work fine. but it would be a larger hole than I would like to put in the fuselage. Is this normal?

Enlarging the whole to retract the nut wouldn't be an issue, except for it may be tough to enlarge the hole, with a fuel line in it.

Try bringing the tank towards the fuse, get the nut started, then bring the tank the rest of the way in.

Can you cut a small access hole in the side of the skin, one that would be hidden under the wing fairing and one that you can cover with a removable patch?

Back