What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACK ELT Antenna

LifeofReiley

Well Known Member
I just got the new ELT in and WOW... what a long antenna it has! Has anyone figured out a creative way to use this whip antenna on their plane or should I just switch to the stubby? :eek:

Where are you mounting the main unit?

Is the antenna about 18"? My AmeriKing antenna is 16" and thought for a long time about where to put the antenna. The location of the ELT itself was a big factor. The Ameriking fits nicely behind the seat back and flap weldment. I made an antenna bracket that fits on the flap side cover. The antenna extends a little above the main longeron when its straight. I can also bend it and tuck it under the longeron if necessary.

This is where I installed it on my -8...

elt2.jpg

My ELT antenna mount

I hope I posted this picture correctly. I just riveted the bracket on last weekend. I couldn't quite decide what to use to make the bracket, then I found a piece of .063 that was part of the electric flap install parts that's not used on the 7. Just had to cut it down a little and bend it to get the right angle.
eltant3bf.jpg

Another nice install...

rv8bldr said:
This is where I installed it on my -8...

elt2.jpg

Another good idea... I just looked at rvproject.com and Dan's install is very close to the same idea. Thanks for sharing the photo!

Just wondering how well those antennas will work being mounted inside the fuselage like that. It seems that you're going to be blocking a very large portion of the radiation pattern by having the antenna behind the seat-backs and against the side bulkhead.

I used to have access to a spectrum analyzer but not anymore...anyone out there happen to know how well this setup will work? If you notice where they're mounted on a Cessna, it's usually on top of the wings or fuse, outside the aircraft.

Anyway, just curious....

Liberty Ship said:
I ran a cable and mounted the ELT ant inside my right wing tip. I works great and you can't see it.
I'm not sure this is such a good idea. If you rip the wings off when you most need the ELT, it just won't work.

There is a guy who posts on this forum who works for Gulfstream, I think it is, who said the ELT cable should not pass through a bulkhead. This was to keep it from getting cut in the event of an accident.

Just something to keep in mind as you select a location.

BTW, my cable does pass through a balkhead, ok seat rib, same basic idea.

Wow, this thread got quiet. :D

Still wondering if anyone has an opinion on mounting the ELT antenna inside a metal structure, or horizontal to the ground. I've seen lots of comm antennas mounted in both scenarios and it makes me wonder how much performance is being lost because of this.

The antenna installation sure looks pretty. But there is no way it will ever work the way it was designed to work, and it is not approved by the TSO. But most ELT's don't function properly anyway. In a couple of years this type won't be required and we will have to spend mega bucks for the next generation of ELT which will be full of bugs. And besides by then they will have user fees for the use of one.

When the ELT update mandate came along a few years back, I did a boat load of installs on Gulfstreams, Hawkers, Falcons, etc. These were all done using an 8110 engineering aproval (not an STC). As such, our DERs required the following:

1) Antenna to be mounted on top of aircraft (exterior) in tail.
2) Coax can not pass production break or bulkhead.

These requirements are straight out of the installation manual and the reasons are obvious. Why use installation practices on an experimental that are known to be prohibited on a certificated aircraft?

Ameri-King

I installed my Ameri antenna on top of the fuse midway between the aftmost slider position and the VS. It certainly detracts from the "look" but:
1. the instructions said to put it there (see earlier posts about cable runs)
2. it'll most likely remain operational post incident
3. antennas don't transmit well inside metal structures

ELT placement:
I was all set on installing the ELT behind the pax seat on the angled floor until I had to lay down along there for under the panel access. Ouch. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver Van's behind-the-baggage-bulkhead sidewall mount.

Steve

Steve said:
I installed my Ameri antenna on top of the fuse midway between the aftmost slider position and the VS. It certainly detracts from the "look" but:
1. the instructions said to put it there (see earlier posts about cable runs)
2. it'll most likely remain operational post incident
3. antennas don't transmit well inside metal structures

ELT placement:
I was all set on installing the ELT behind the pax seat on the angled floor until I had to lay down along there for under the panel access. Ouch. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver Van's behind-the-baggage-bulkhead sidewall mount.

Steve

Well after much research and discussion with the certified installers the antenna will go on the outside of the plane where it belongs. Other than looks, it really should not slow the plane down at all. :eek:

Good idea

LifeofReiley said:
Well after much research and discussion with the certified installers the antenna will go on the outside of the plane where it belongs. Other than looks, it really should not slow the plane down at all. :eek:
There you go being practical and following the instructions, trouble maker. :D I think that is a good plan. Speed? who knows but if you did a before, after you could not measure it.

Comment: Won't the whip rub on airframe at the coil and where it goes by the sill? May be cover in plastic tube or heat shrink. I guess the passengers elbow may hit it as well? (Not bashing just asking)
elt2.jpg

Last edited:
Speed

gmcjetpilot said:
There you go being practical and following the instructions, trouble maker. :D I think that is a good plan. Speed? who knows but if you did a before, after you could not measure it.

Comment: Won't the whip rub on airframe at the coil and where it goes by the sill? May be cover in plastic tube or heat shrink. I guess the passengers elbow may hit it as well? (Not bashing just asking)
elt2.jpg

Hi George,

I figured going 200 mph for me is just fast enough... and as we grow older, practical and instructions seem to make more sense. :eek:

Have a good one!

Back