What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mile Stone!

G Swartley

Well Known Member
Last night I had a buddy from work stop over and help me do some riveting on the Fuselage. He wound up staying for 4 hours and we finished riveting the Fuselage to the piont where we rolled the canoe. :D:D:D

I'm busy toinight, but as soon as I have the time I'm gonna put in the seat pans and a back rest to get in and play pilot! :p

I now know what all the hype is about with this milestone and I gotta say the smile has been on all morning. I can't wait till I fly this thing I'm sure the smile will stay for much longer.

Congratulations Gregg! How many times did you go out to the garage last night and just stare at it? I lost count when I rolled mine.

Nice Job Gregg

........If you ever need a dumb monkey (like me) to hold the bucking bar for you, just give me a call.

Awesome, I finished riveting my side skins today. I actually never had it upside down. So it's been right side up for a while. Definitely looks like a plane!

Stronger armrests...

Gregg,

If you are going to beef up the flimsy armrests, now is the time to do it before you rivet them to the side walls. You need to look at my page 31 via this web link. Read all the text with the photos to get the details.

http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a031.htm#Armrest_Mod

DSCG0161.JPG

Jim F

As to the armrests, I reinforced them with a short piece of AA mid way. It adds some rigidity without much weight and only a few flush rivets on the fuse. I also built a flat sub base for the armrest cushion that screws onto the armrest and anchors underneath with platenuts. I have yet to install it, but expect it to work fine and also provide a bit more rigidity for my heavy elbow.

When I went to add support, I also cut the arm rest to 1/2 it's width. It is now strong and out of my way. After 250 hours, I am glad that I did that. Plus, if you ever think that you need it wider, then just bolt on a wooden top that is the width that you want.

I never did like the stock units. They are useless. And will get bent it you don,t inform each passenger.................

Back