What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TBO on an MTV 12 propeller

Rene Bubberman

Well Known Member
Hi fellow RVators,

I thought I had heard somewhere that MT props on an experimental aircraft can be flown 'On condition' and that the normal TBO of 1800 hours for the MTV12 3-blade is not mandatory anymore.
Does somebody know more about this?

I believe you are correct, at least in the USA. The TBO is 1800 hours or 7 years, if I recall correctly. Mine is now over seven years with 850 hours on it. I had MT USA look at it to make sure some paint cracks were truly nothing more than paint cracks, and they said it was OK to fly it on condition. This is also true on Part 91 operated certified airplanes. Same for engines.

Mt has a publication AESA21J020, 1RO that states, with a 360 engine 1800 hours or 72 months and with a 320, 2000 hours or 72 months.
Hope this helps.

In EASA land, propellers cannot go on condition and I can understand why, they do whizz round a bit !

In Europe you operate to TBO on hours or 6 years. You have 2 years from purchase before the 6 year clock starts running.

We fell foul of this with ours - it was 4 years old when we flew and we were looking at an early overhaul. Events overtook us however and damage incurred by visiting aerobatic flyers at our hangar required a blade to be repaired.

We used Proptech in Portsmouth UK. Ali Mant is the contact - very good btw.

They are MT repair agents and will look sympathetically if you are high on calendar time and low on hours. It is basically an inspect, regrease and reassemble.

You finished your aeroplane before me, so your prop maybe subject to the SB for surface cracking and paint damage, if so MT will do a good deal on the upgraded blades.

Although the repair was costly, we got back a zero timed, upgraded propeller.

If you want more info, send me a pm or email with a contact number and I will call you for a chat Rene.

M

Thank you for your replies! I heard a rumor that, at least in Germany, experimental MT props can fly on condition.
Our prop is beyond the calendar time but has only 450hrs on it. To have it overhauled is costly (about 4000 Euro) and, worse, takes about 4/5 weeks.

So if a inspection from a expert is enough to make sure we are safe....

all the best,

Back