What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish Kit Pricing

Chattin35

Well Known Member
$12,650 is pretty tough to swallow... What's in it that makes it worth almost double the -7's finish kit?

Curious minds want to know

Maybe it includes the firewall forward stuff?

Checked Van's site and did not find a detailed description.

RE: Finsh Kit Pricing

It will be interesting to learn what actually is driving the additional cost but I would venture to "guess" that it could be due to a finish kit that is more "finished". The RV14 walk around video on the Vans website indicates (and I seem to remember hearing this also in my factory visit a couple of weeks ago) that the canopy plexiglass will be cut and trimmed to final size. The walk around video also mentions that engine baffles and baffle seals might be cut and trimmed to final size. Both of these would add labor/cost to producing the finish kit but would save a builder lots of time, pain and aggravation.

@PRE911, it's on the order forms. Hasn't been updated on the "Kit Prices and Lead Times" page yet.

All I can say is at $12,650 I have *very* high expectations for what is included in the -14A finish kit and the level of completeness. That's approx $5500 more than the finish kit on a -7A. There's got to be a lot more than a pre-trimmed canopy and cowl to justify that kind of price delta!

Another point of comparison is the RV-12 finish kit...if you include wheel fairings it is approx $10,500 and includes upholstered seat cushions, seat belts, and wiring harnesses. Hopefully the -14A price includes all that and more, but I doubt FWF stuff like baffles is included...that would be a departure from what Vans has done in the past for kit packaging.

Doesn't the 14 have the Oregon Aero seat system that the -10 has?

Best seat I've ever flown on, better even than Boeing's, but quite expensive and totally worth it.

Much different seat than the RV-10 though. The RV-10 seat has a slide track for for/aft adjustment and the back rest is self supporting like your car.

Finish Kit Contents & Features?

Scott or Mitch,

Now that the finish kit is available for order, can you guys give us at least a high level list of key features & improvements? Like precut canopy and/or cowl, seats, wiring harnesses, intersection fairings already molded into the wheel pants, coffee maker, widescreen TV....?

Thanks,

I am very glad I elected 7A instead of 14A an year and a half ago, I have my plane already flying with a small engine less cost and no delays, 14 has more room but in my opinion it frustated a lot of colleagues. But there is no doubt that is another great product from vans.

Mark,

I'd like to respond with an "All of the above", but the TV screen is not a widescreen version. We'll just have to live with a narrow one.

All joking aside, the most obvious improvement over our other finish kits is the level of prefabrication. Yes, the canopy and rear window come cut to size. Included are wheel pant intersection fairings (not molded in to the pants), a cowling with molded in scribe lines and a coating that appears to all but eliminate pin holes. There are a number of highly machined parts for the canopy locking mechanism and gear leg attach that are not inexpensive to fabricate. These are just the highlights and what jumped out at me as I proceed thru the install. Plus we have produced a video showing how to do the fiberglass layup around the front of the canopy. With that, perhaps even I can get a good fit and finish in that area.

Wheels and brakes come from Grove. Top quality and appropriate for the 14.

And the plans. Oh my! 'Nuff said about them. But do, and I mean DO follow the EXACT steps and processes when you get to the canopy frame. It's all easy stuff, but to get a good fit REALLY follow the steps.

This is just a general overview as I see it. Just know that this is an amazing kit (Like I had to say that) that you will burn thru.

Back