What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into Chicago

gereed75

Well Known Member
Anyone with experience flying an RV into Midway? My son lives downtown and I am looking for a good spot to fly into. I generally avoid airports this big, but with Miegs gone, you gotta do what you gotta do. I would be filing IFR. Thanks

Last edited:
Best thing to do is get flight following. Between 15-20 miles out they will either hand you off to approach control or they will discontinue service and have you squack 1200. If they do that, contact approach on 119.45 (If you're coming from PA) no later than 15 miles out. (No more than about 25 miles out.)

GA aircraft land on 31L, 4L, or 22R depending on the winds. They may ask you to overfly the tower to enter downwind. Again, it all depends on the winds. Chicago Approach is one of the best in the business. They will do their best to make it as painless as possible.

Enjoy the windy city.

Since you are going to file IFR, there is no issue going into MDW. Chicago center will hand you off to Approach, then, tower. Last time I used Odyssey Aviation (was Million Air). If your son is not picking you up, they will send you to the train station (Orange Line). It is an easy ride to downtown.

When flying VFR I give Approach a call near Gary Airport. They are busy so talk fast.

Orange line info:
http://www.transitchicago.com/riding_cta/systemguide/orangeline.aspx

Thanks Guys,

I'll give it a try this weekend, weather permitting. Thanks for the train info Ted - Service above and beyond.

Anyone with experience flying an RV into Midway? My son lives downtown and I am looking for a good spot to fly into. I generally avoid airports this big, but with Miegs gone, you gotta do what you gotta do. I would be filing IFR. Thanks

Midway isn't bad, just bring your "A-game" on the radio and be flexible. Get down and off the runway as soon as possible and the tower will be appreciative. I also offered an intersection takeoff with an early turn on departure to get out of the way of the airline traffic--they let me sneak out in a small gap and minimized my ground time.

I've had a terrible experience with Signature in the last couple of years (in spite of calling them in advance). I would recommend Atlantic where I was treated well. Signature literally refused to fuel me or let me park my RV-8 on their ramp, although I had called ahead of time.

I've been into MDW several times in my Arrow, IFR every time. It has generally been a piece of cake but pay attention on the radio and have the airport diagram out and handy when you land. I kept my speed up until short short short final (easy to do in a '68 Arrow with Hershey-bar wings :))

I like Odyssey Aviation http://airnav.com/airport/KMDW/ODYSSEY because they have the least atrocious fuel prices and have always been great with me, even though I was flying a teeny tiny airplane and rarely buying any gas to speak of.

Getting out of MDW can be way worse than getting in, especially if the weather is bad and the airliners are backed up. If you can depart VFR, your life will be much much easier than if you have to wait for an IFR clearance. Again, be on your best radio behavior and have that airport diagram handy.

Oh yeah... taxi fast and bring a camera. :p

Cheers,
-- Art Z.

Meigs now

At least the Friday I was there the park had only Segway tour groups while the Museum grounds were busy. Here is how the former Meigs runway looks like (around noon on a September day).

IMG_7385.jpg

A lot of other people have covered the most important parts, two additions.

1) Approach will ask you to keep your speed on final. I've been going into MDW the last few years, and they typically ask for cruise ("as fast as possible.") (120kt in a 172) until short final.

2) I second the Atlantic suggestion. I have trouble with Signature across the country. Atlantic has always treated me wonderfully, even when only buying 20 gallons and staying for 6 nights.

Back