What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR in an RV-7A?

zemon

Hello,

I am about 90% sure that I want to build an RV and am trying to decide between a 7A and a 9A. I don't want to be upside down, even for the tiny amount of time that an RV needs to do a roll, so acrobatics isn't a factor. What I do want is a nice machine for IFR x-c and for tooling around the patch on nice sunny days.

I have not flown in an RV so all I have to go on thus far is what I have read, that the 9 is more stable than the 7. My perspective is kind of skewed: a ton o' time in Cherokees with Hershey bar wings so to me, stable means it's hard to tell that I'm not sitting in my easy chair in my living room. :eek:

How would a 7A be as a x-c machine? I'll have an autopilot installed, of course, but I need to know that all aboard will be safe if the a/p craps out in heavy weather. What's it like to hand-fly a 7 in IMC?

Thanks,
-- Art Z.

I built a RV-7A and it is IFR equipped. I absolutely love it. I think for your usage, the main difference comes to ability to use a higher power plant and speed. I think they are both very easy to fly, same amount of room/space. The 9 will be a bit more efficient but a bit slower I guess. In regards to the A/P, for one thing I believe it is a must and my A/P flies better then I can in a not so good weather.

Hope this helps
Mehrdad RV-7A
IO360

Yes the -9 is more stable than the -7 but compaired to a Cherokee it is lightening quick.

They are both great airplanes and you can't go wrong with either one.

Do a search on the subject and you find a bunch of threads on this same subject with lots of pro's and con's on both planes.

Yes the -9 is more stable than the -7 but compaired to a Cherokee it is lightening quick.

They are both great airplanes and you can't go wrong with either one.

Do a search on the subject and you find a bunch of threads on this same subject with lots of pro's and con's on both planes.

A friend and I........ he's built and owned two RV9A's; but flown my 6A numerous times (he's insured on it)...........have concluded that it would be hard to tell which plane you're in, if blind folded. In smooth and turbulent weather, they react so much the same. Mine is just more nimble on the controls, and he can land 10 mph slower; but it's just as easy to stay upright , or get tossed around with both. In either plane, those auto-pilots are definately the best solution. We both have 2-axis A/P's.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

7 vs. 9 for x-country and IFR

Lost of history in the threads on these two subjects. Somewhere in here you'll find a post by Bob Axsom, high time Cherokee pilot and RV-6A racer talking about not wanting to fly the shorter wing RV in IMC without an autopilot. However, when faced with the same decision as you, Bob headed in the speed direction. In my own case, over thirty years of instrument flying lead me to the 9A because of stability that more closely resembled a Cherokee. Whatever floats your boat.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

I chose the RV 9 for the same reason. Though I have talked to folks who say the -7 is pretty good in IMC. In either model an autopilot is the best tool to save your bacon in the soup.

to me, stable means it's hard to tell that I'm not sitting in my easy chair in my living room.
Well... if you take a nap while hand-flying an RV in IMC, you will be in trouble :).
What's it like to hand-fly a 7 in IMC?
I have a RV-6, which most folks would say is a bit lighter on the controls than a -7, and I like hand-flying it in IMC. We have a 2-axis autopilot with GPSS, VS and altitude preselect, but I usually use it just for enroute segments, which can get a bit tedious otherwise. Departures and approaches are more fun to hand-fly. It's a flying machine. Be prepared, get in the zone, keep up your scan... then I think you'll find it's just another thing these planes do very well.

--Paul

Great info

Thanks, folks. I very much appreciate all the info. I'm leaning toward the 7, not so much for the extra speed but for the extra range.

Cheers,
-- Art Z.

Hi Art

I have a -6A and have flown up/down through layers but it can be a handful compared to Cherokees and Cessnas when hand-flown. You have to be on your toes because the RV's don't have much roll stability and I, too, enjoy my TruTrak autopilot for that reason.

Regards,

What's it like to hand-fly a 7 in IMC?

I found you have to stay on the atitutude indicator. When my 7A "feels" like it is level, it's banking about 15 degrees. The stick is also very sensitive so I will often put my hands low so I don't over control it.

The plane is not as stable as a Cessna is going to be which you would expect from a more agile performer. However, the speed and performance will allow you to climb and get around weather you couldn't in the Cessna.

Funny....

The only airplane that ever gave me the leans, always to the right mind you, was my Cherokee 180. Especially on approach.

I grew to expect the leans and ignore them.....:eek:

I have an RV6A in NC and have travelled to Dallas Texas, Miami, New Orleans, and Cleveland Ohio. IO 360 fixed pitch and climbs great to altitude to take advantage of tail winds.
Autopilot with altitude hold works great coupled with a Garmin 430. XM weather.

IFR travel and a nice ride.

Get XM weather and use it. Frequently an airport within 20-30 miles maybe VFR and your intended destination maybe low IFR.

Live to fly another day.

Don't fly into situation that exceed your skill level.

I am about 90% sure that I want to build an RV and am trying to decide between a 7A and a 9A. I don't want to be upside down, even for the tiny amount of time that an RV needs to do a roll, so acrobatics isn't a factor.

Hi Art. I think it's difficult to make that assessment without actually having flown aerobatics in an RV. I have yet to give someone their first roll in my RV without them laughing hysterically. You also mention that you haven't flown in an RV at all. Each RV model has it's customer, but I think you first step is to get a ride in both and then make up your mind. If I were closer to MO I would certainly show you the -7A.

Jamie,

If I were closer to Georgia, I'd take you up on your generous offer :) I have gotten a ride in a 9A. Loved it! I'm still looking for a ride in a 7 or 7A.

Cheers,
-- Art Z.

Back