What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unknown Black Box - What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph Ketter

Patron
I'm helping a friend who purchased an RV8 that has no known electrical documentation. The original builder is deceased. I came across this small black box that has 4 wires and surgical tubing attached. It has no markings on the visible surfaces. I have not yet tried to trace the wiring and where the tubing ends up is not apparent.
If you happen to know what is it let me know.
Thanks in advance.

dF7k8FDpixspdVEBIlLE7pMoIoGwC9ift9nWkhigDyhYslmBrdCq1g319gJqobqFLVLooXKAzLfEs6ZB7C2tr9umdnxBbAyVQKJ0Bo-q4ICyWPst65LoHDdTNeK3MrnIyoPGD8roYP3ms1O7e_kmt3YlLZRgfZ4oojkRGsXIpS74viFI-2qIPAajCq1sSCU6UB_okvWKn068CnGu-nBq0ft_zehDhsTXcxhQWo0UjDK2zbHhufUYTEApou-KHa6FHB-OX7j25rV4FCEqBtOyhdaV9T8ofI6b28JfyolAlTOVYgj5JiE7qyCMa-uPJI2xXRxOXxZAbeOC3JCIF20NCCCPxZY3flJ_Efzam_GllhOhWbxghF3dHGmZSQx6xvQgvbgqGaZtIs2-sjEYyGrrkMGBOqjTcpCpHf21U2kY_UpS68eL1OlFQXzcuBdHrAszjTkrOzIkVhm_VXwvwZnGiBbUPj_WBoxBtRgbq9LMe37sMvRAs_gJt6bL8an5i94J23TB2LtiTzh_CIA07Htwn4RR2bddZz8hxDbQrAhaN2iEvUqw7Rf1avaBZMMhKVQFZz3EawfxRs3_CEyvv3vjhPuYsPsalK4NP7f7iUU=w1082-h811-no

I have a switch similar to that in size in my flap control system that prevents deploying them at high speeds. Two wires and a tube tied into my pitot system. Similar but not exactly the same. My MP sensor is much larger than the switch or sensor you show. Tracing that tube should answer your question

I have a Vans MAP gauge, and that is not what my sensor looks like. Mine is the analog gauge.

Unknown Black Box Solved

I finally got back to the airplane yesterday to verify that the unknown black box is indeed a Van's Manifold Pressure Sending Unit P/N IE VMPSND.
It normally comes as part of the analog gauge MAN PRES 35" W/SENDER Part Number = IE VMP35.

Many Thanks to all of you for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back