What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition training, VA

I'm not aware of anything "local" to NOVA. Pretty sure you're going to have to travel to one of the usual suspects.

-10 training

I had just spoken to mitch Locke about this last week. Vans is looking for a new east coast rep/CFI to replace him so that us east coasters can get local training. To be continued. ...

I had just spoken to mitch Locke about this last week. Vans is looking for a new east coast rep/CFI to replace him so that us east coasters can get local training. To be continued. ...

Are you saying Mitch is no longer with Van's? Or soon will be?

Another thing about Mike and Vernona; Beautiful country, unique grass strip and an appreciation for the versatility of VFR flying.

QUOTE=Carl Froehlich;1148261]Yep - Mitch will soon be taking a more senior position at Van's.[/QUOTE]

I asked him if it was a April fools joke since he's starting April 1st. He said it better not be 😉 I hope they find a CFI that has as much experience with RV's as Mitch has.

The reality of it all is that the cost to travel across the Country to get transition training is a drop in the bucket in relation to the costs to build the RV-10. Just make the arrangements and do it.

The reality of it all is that the cost to travel across the Country to get transition training is a drop in the bucket in relation to the costs to build the RV-10. Just make the arrangements and do it.

It's not just the cost of travel. It's also time. Something in the area or at least on the East coast would save a lot of time. But certainly you're right in principle.

Another thing about Mike and Vernona; Beautiful country, unique grass strip and an appreciation for the versatility of VFR flying.

And big trees, compared to the twigs we call trees here. Could not give anyone a higher recommendation.

insurance

Why hard to find transition training?
I can only speak for a few, not all, CFI's who used to but no longer give transition training, for the reason they dropped out: it's all about insurance.

Insurance company to new builder: "We won't insure you (for any reasonable rate) unless you have transition training."

Insurance company to CFI's offering transition training, for hire: "Your normal policy doesn't cover instructional activities. We'll gladly sell you an additional policy that does, for a few thousand dollars more." For the low-volume CFIs this is a money-losing proposition.

Why hard to find transition training?
I can only speak for a few, not all, CFI's who used to but no longer give transition training, for the reason they dropped out: it's all about insurance.

Insurance company to new builder: "We won't insure you (for any reasonable rate) unless you have transition training."

Insurance company to CFI's offering transition training, for hire: "Your normal policy doesn't cover instructional activities. We'll gladly sell you an additional policy that does, for a few thousand dollars more." For the low-volume CFIs this is a money-losing proposition.

Could not say it better myself.

I was in the same situation a few years ago.....hoping to find someone in the east, and surprised to learn that no one was available. It turned out that the trip to Oregon was a lot of fun, and not so painful in terms of time. I caught a flight to Portland after work, got a rental car, and found a hotel room west of the city. Spent the next two days flying with Mike out of Veronia (very good experience, as noted above). Flew home on a Sunday.

It's looking like Mike Seager in Vernonia, Oregon might be the only available option for RV-10 transition training in the entire country right now.

Back