What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Licensing question

HBpilot

Anybody would have the knowledge or a contact to ask questions on adding a single engine rating to an existing atp multiengine ? I sent several emails to the FAA and got no answer.
PM me if you do.
Thanks.

Go talk to the guys at the flight school at KOCF and they can tell you what it would take.

Well...

...there's a question you don't hear every day!

Curious minds are wondering the circumstances, if you care to share.

Gary

I lnew a couple of guys doing the same thing a while back. They were ex-military and flew multiengine aircraft from day one (T-37, T-38, B-52, etc., then airliners).

If you want an ATP single engine you will need to take an ATP check ride in a single. You could also take a commercial check ride in a single and get a single engine commercial since there isn't much advantage to a single engine ATP. Most airline people I know that came from a civilian flying background have a single engine commercial and a multi engine ATP.

Download a copy of the latest PTS (sorry, they just changed the name for the private, I forget what it's called now). In the front there's a chart that answers your question. You will have to decide if you want private, commercial, or ATP privileges single engine land.

Depending on what your needs are, a private or commercial single engine add-on should be pretty easy. Find a good, knowledgeable CFI, and press on!

Gary

I worked with a pilot for several years that had come out of the Navy with a Commercial/Instrument AMEL, but had never gotten the ASEL. He got his ATP AMEL after leaving the military, but just never got a single engine rating at all. Not that unusual for ex-military pilots.

Nova is right, you have to take the ATP check ride in a single engine aircraft.

It seems that if I bust the checkride, can't fly 121 anymore. Not willing to take that chance.
I need to know... if I take a private pilot checkride, can I fly IFR ?

You have to take a checkride, but it's not everything in the PTS. You'll get credit for some items.
Yes, you just do the private, or commercial, your choice.
You will automatically have instrument privileges.

Last edited:

Gary

Got my licenses overseas and converted ATP multi in the US. Only took that checkride. I haven't flown under the foreign license in a very long time and it's not current anymore. I used to be able to fly private pilot single engine in the US based on that foreign license. I actually flew over 100 hours single engine here in the US, but didn't think I would need to convert that part. So frustrating to have to shell out 600$ for such ride. I do need training, no doubt about that, but 600$ hurts.

You have to take a checkride, but it's not everything in the PTS. You'll get credit for some items.
Yes, you just do the private, or commercial, your choice.
You will automatically have instrument privileges.

So I don't have to take a private pilot/commercial IFR checkride to have single engine IFR privileges ?
Just a normal private pilot checkride will suffice to also be able to fly single engine IFR ?

It seems that if I bust the checkride, can't fly 121 anymore. Not willing to take that chance.
I need to know... if I take a private pilot checkride, can I fly IFR ?

I did a lot of research on this, and as I understand it after lengthy discussions with two separate FSDO's, best and easiest way is to do the ATP SE add on, which is basically approaches to ATP standards.

Further research found that you can find flight schools out there that can work you up in two or three days in a 172, and have good relations with DPE's who understand the 'at risk' nature of the check ride, especially when you explain you just want to be able to fly your RV, and have no intention of exercising the rights of you ATP in a SE airplane.

I remember back when I was getting my pvt, in the lounge, overheard an instructor harping on an F18 pilot working on his SEL rating in a 172, ( ok, you cannot come down to the runway with that sink rate, you need to FLARE your landing) ever see an aircraft carrier landing, that image comes to mind.

Ok, here is the skinny on my and a buddy in a similar situation. Multi Engine ATP, courtesy of Uncle Sam's Flying Club, KC-135/10. Checked with a CFII in Omaha and he checked with local FSDO, a commercial check ride was the answer. No written, no oral, just a flying check. The only critique item was "you military guys certainly are aggressive on maneuvers, entries and recoveries". Maybe having more flight time and jet ratings was a little intimidating, don't know that for sure, but it was a fun ride. Dan

Ok, here is the skinny on my and a buddy in a similar situation. Multi Engine ATP, courtesy of Uncle Sam's Flying Club, KC-135/10. Checked with a CFII in Omaha and he checked with local FSDO, a commercial check ride was the answer. No written, no oral, just a flying check. The only critique item was "you military guys certainly are aggressive on maneuvers, entries and recoveries". Maybe having more flight time and jet ratings was a little intimidating, don't know that for sure, but it was a fun ride. Dan

Just want to make sure...is he allowed to fly ifr single engine ?

Yes.
Your certificate will say Airline Transport Pilot, Airplane Multi-Engine Land. Commercial Privileges, Airplane Single Engine Land.
Assuming we are not talking sea planes here.

With that you can operate any multi engine or single engine airplane you are otherwise authorized to fly, IFR.

Last edited:
Back