What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Gear Cotter Pin and Bearings

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am at step 46-5 and installing the main landing gear axle nut and cotter pin. I am concerned the cotter pin can rotate in the hole and possible rub against the bearing nearby. I can cut the pin legs shorter, but that seems it would leave them too short. What have others done?

Capture.jpg

Yep..

What Mike said.

You could conceivably run some safety wire through the cotter pin head and go around the nut.

Best,

Mark,
I had no problems with the rubbing. It is ok to trim the cotter pin as required. I also upgraded the axle extension. If you do a search on this forum you will find that most have upgraded it. A larger diameter extension gives more support to the wheel pant and will be a stiffer mount for the pant.
If you have ot already, you should also get these from Planearound.com
http://planearound.com/TWO-WHEEL-FAIRING-BRACKET-SPACERS-FOR-RV-10-WFSPCR.htm

I did indeed upgrade the extension (Cleaveland Tool), but the cotter pin for the nut is the same where it goes through the gear leg. So the scenario is still the same.

So what if it does rotate up to the bearing? The bearing is steel, you won't see any significant wearing. Do make sure the cotter pin clears the valve stem.

Actually I was the one that emailed you about the different size for the RV 10 gear. So once I get the new one from you I'll be all set.

I did indeed upgrade the extension (Cleaveland Tool), but the cotter pin for the nut is the same where it goes through the gear leg. So the scenario is still the same.

I have the same concern. I shorten the long leg of the cotter pin after installation (using dremel cutting wheel) so there's no chance of the cotter pin leg wearing against the wheel bearing's outer washer.

I thought about doing that. I should probably look at AC43.13 to see if there are any specs on minimum size of cotter pin legs.

Back