What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dye in the fiberglass?

Bruce Russell

Well Known Member
While I was admiring the fiberglass work on the red RV-12 canopy at OSH, I noticed that the fiberglass weave that was visible through the plexi was the same gray color as the canopy frame. Is there some way to die the resin or the cloth to duplicate this look?

epoxy coloring

Tap Plastic sells many colors. We used black in the fiberglass that goes on the canopy and can be seen through the plexi.

Another solution

While I was admiring the fiberglass work on the red RV-12 canopy at OSH, I noticed that the fiberglass weave that was visible through the plexi was the same gray color as the canopy frame. Is there some way to die the resin or the cloth to duplicate this look?

Instead of dyeing the Fiberglas, you can mask off the canopy on the inside and paint the canopy on the inside. I have done this on 6 RV's and it works well. Use 3M fineline tape to outline the area of the Fiberglas and the mask off the rest of the inside. Paint to match.

Instead of dyeing the Fiberglas, you can mask off the canopy on the inside and paint the canopy on the inside. I have done this on 6 RV's and it works well. Use 3M fineline tape to outline the area of the Fiberglas and the mask off the rest of the inside. Paint to match.

Jim,

Aren't you FG'ing to the paint and not the Plexiglas when you paint the canopy? I realize the shape of the hardened FG will hold the canopy in place but have you ever seen the FG and plexi separate due to the paint?

Jim,

Aren't you FG'ing to the paint and not the Plexiglas when you paint the canopy? I realize the shape of the hardened FG will hold the canopy in place but have you ever seen the FG and plexi separate due to the paint?

I am maksing off and painting the inside of the canopy that is covered on the outside by Fiberglas, not between the Fiberglas and the canopy.

Back