What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Instrument Pilot / Passed the check ride

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Well, this is where my friends hang out, so no better place to shout it from the roof tops: I passed my Instrument Practical exam today! Yee, Haw. It is awesome to have this in our bag of tricks to improve safety and capability. Tanya and I spent the last few days really sharpening my skill to a very fine point and the APRS (n4822C) track of the check ride does tell the story.

This morning I rolled out of bed before the sun came up (unheard of for me) knowing that we were expecting locally low ceilings due to temp/dewpoint, but that Brownwood (80mi NW) was forecast to have great weather. With only one eye open I peeked out the window. Yep, bummer, low solid overcast 600-1000'. At least I was ready for it and knew that it was just a thin layer that would lift as the temp came up. But I had a 9:30am appointment with the examiner 40min. away. I got busy doing all of the final touches with weather briefings, cross country flight plans, etc, and rechecked that I had all my paperwork and stuff packed in my briefcase. I got to the airport by about 7:45am with a plan to just camp out until I could convince the tower to declare 1000' ceiling, then I was launching. The clearing line was already obvious at about 30mi. NW of the field. The field went to 1200' just as I was prepared to pull the airplane out of the hangar. So I launched to the North West hugging the bottom of the clouds. Every now and then I saw little holes with blue sky above and could see that the layer was only about 200' thick. Still the clearing line was another 25mi. ahead, not in sight. Note, this is very flat terrain and in my own backyard so it was safe and legal, but not really fun. I'm thinking, "I hope this is the last time I have to do this." It was actually kind of fitting for today's mission. Then I spied a slightly larger patch of sun hitting the ground ahead. I brought the power in to build up some "extra" airspeed and headed for it. When the sun hit me, I looked up and sure enough, exactly a 4000' wide hole was above that I could clearly make it through. I wasted no time in pulling back to convert that airspeed into altitude. I'm sure it looked like 22C had been simply ejected from that hole from above. I climbed up another few thousand feet in smooth air on top and set the autopilot direct Brownwood. That was fun. In another 15min. I crossed the clearing line below right about where we knew it would be.

I can't say enough good things about the Examiner Mr. Michad in Brownwood. He is a no stress, no hurry, not out to get you, kinda' guy. He doesn't play any tricks or try to get you into any kind of mental trap. A completely different experience for me compared to my private check ride back in 1993. First we dealt with all the paperwork details. Application, airman documents, aircraft documents, show logs that make the aircraft and airman legal... Then he moved into some oral questions. They were most all very basic, big (important) stuff, that if you can't answer, you really shouldn't get the license. He wasn't interested in knowing if I knew all of the differences between an LDA and SDF approach, etc. Then we made a quick pass through most of the chart symbology. Easy. Then we briefed the flight, FULLY. He drew a quick diagram on a sheet of paper and left no question as to exactly what we were going to do: File an actual IFR flight plan direct to Abilene at 6000' with remarks "FAA instrument check ride", Get your clearance with Fort Worth Center on this frequency remoted on this field, Check in with Fort Worth in the air and use the autopilot at your discretion for enroute legs. Right here my brain just about blew up and I was telling myself to not comment or react, but I just couldn't stand it. I said something stupid like "You mean I get to use the autopilot?". He said "sure, I'm going to be able to tell very quick if you can fly straight and level. Your instructor wouldn't have sent you here if you couldn't. There is no need to get all tense before we do the fun stuff (approaches)." (briefing continues) Once handed off to Abilene approach, check in with them and say "IFR request" and ask for the ILS 35R approach then VFR back to Brownwood at 5500'. We will then fly direct back to Brownwood and fly the GPS 35 approach with the autopilot fully coupled. Note, one approach is required to use the autopilot if so equipped, and this one happens to be a full LPV WAAS approach :). Our initial approach fix will be FICCU. On this enroute leg, we'll do the two types of unusual attitudes, nose high and nose low. After the GPS 35 approach, climb maintain 3100' direct to the BWD VOR and begin the published VOR 17 approach with a procedure turn for course reversal. When arriving back at the VOR, which is the final approach fix, enter a hold as published for one lap, then continue the approach inbound. Once inbound, this will be the partial panel approach. Full stop landing. For partial panel on the GRT displays, I just cut out a cardboard template that covered the attitude display of the primary PFD and left the ASI, ALT, and VSI visible and taped it in place. Total time for the check ride flight was 1.4hrs.

And that is Exactly what we did. He kept pretty quiet except for talking about all the cool toys in the panel and how nice this airplane was. The air was pleasantly smooth. Before we got in the airplane, I treated him like any other passenger and explained the experimental nature of the airplane, that I had built it, has 300hrs on it, quick walk around to see its condition, be careful not to step on the flaps, don't grab the instrument panel, step fully in the seat when getting in (many people are afraid to step on the upholstery, I would rather them step in the seats than bend something else). I think that being overly prepared has paid off. We have flown a whole lot of hours in the last few months and days to this end. Yee, haw! Now it is time to just go dip a toe in some actual IMC just like this morning with 1000' solid overcast, smooth, and only a couple hundred feet thick. Another learning curve is ahead to carefully explore this utility.

Now it is Tanya's turn! :)

AWESOME, congrats and hopefully I'll be right behind you with a similar anouncement in a few months.

Have fun hunting down some good beginner actual to punch holes in!!:D

congrats

That's awesome.

What no upset attitudes on the checkride? You had a chance to show that instructor your AI won't tumble!

That's awesome.

What no upset attitudes on the checkride? You had a chance to show that instructor your AI won't tumble!

It was fun, just getting an opportunity to demonstrate without being challenged. The unusual attitudes were all basic normal category type stuff. And he even let me use all the instrumentation. Deene (my instructor) and I did practice unusual attitude recovery with nothing but the Trutrak ADI and GPS digital altitude. As discussed with Pat Tuckey over BBQ this past weekend, I don't think people give the Trutrak ADI enough credit in a pinch, with its unique VSI enhanced gyro. I did take care to be clear that the examiner understood that a -9 is non-aerobatic just in case he thought all RVs were aerobatic and got a little excited :). He was super impressed in the avionics integration and capability.
I'm still excited about this big new tool in the toolbox. Thanks for commenting.

Congrats, Scott. As we discussed, I knew you were ready and able to pass the check ride when I signed you off last week.

I really enjoyed flying with you and your well equipped RV9A. When I think of how we had to train and fly in the old days of steam guages, I am filled with awe with the GRT/430W/TT combo. The situational awareness and overall ease of use of the system is great.

I'm looking forward to doing some serious work with my AFS equipped RV8 once I get out of phase 1.

Way to go!!

Of all my checkrides and ratings, this was the most rewarding. Both fixed and rotary wing.

Nice job, take it slow and have fun!!!!

Congratulations! Another "license to learn." And have a lot of fun in the process...

Pat

Good job Scott. Of all my training, I preach the gospel of the instrument rating at every chance. It just makes you a better pilot.

Contrats!!

Last edited:
Congrats Scott. Thats a great accomplishment. Its not easy, but a lot of fun. I did mine last year. It was a blast as well. Looking foward to shooting approaches to no end when I get my bird done.
Brad Vier
RV-8
Cowl work..

Scott,

Your thorough approach to the rating shows in your posts, congratulations!

As you now know, single-pilot, hard IFR can be challenging. I suggest you haul a safety pilot along (your wife?) to help with the chores during the 'Phase 1' testing of your new rating.

Enjoy...

I'm Jealous
Gary, it looks like we're coming to see you in the high country in a couple of months. I'll make sure I rub it in.

Scott,

Your thorough approach to the rating shows in your posts, congratulations!

As you now know, single-pilot, hard IFR can be challenging. I suggest you haul a safety pilot along (your wife?) to help with the chores during the 'Phase 1' testing of your new rating.

Enjoy...
Yep, that is the plan. Tanya is great at holding my feet to the fire for precision when it counts. She gets almost as much credit for making this happen.

Congratulations!! Next LOE we won't be wondering if you made it through the lousey weather.
No kidding! I think the last com that you guys heard from us on that trip was that instrument training would begin when we got home, and it did.

Big Congrats!

BIG CONGRATS SCOTT!

Glad to hear you got it done. Now go out and file often and stay current!
I am glad Tanya is going to do it as well. I have been after my wife for
quite some time to get her IR. She is planning to do it in the near future as well.
I mean it's not like she doesn't have a flight instructor handy!;)

Great Job

I did mine in the 7 and can honestly say it was the hardest thing I have ever done..Period!

But the first time you taxi past a group of VFR students in thick fog on the way to the runway it makes it all worthwhile..:)

Frank

Congratulations!

Way to go, Scott. I'll definately plan to head to Brownsville when I'm ready for the commercial ticket.

And, I'll be glad to tell folks off-line who NOT to go to for a checkride in south Texas! (Yes, I passed, but the experience with the examiner was exactly opposite to Scott's. A definate "avoid at all cost" examiner. :mad:)

And another Congrats from the household here at Polly Ranch Scott - great to see you finish it up, and we watch for Tanya's progress....but no pressure Tanya! ;)

Congrat Scott - way to go

Your detailed report made me remember how much I've forgotten! I enjoyed reading the write-up.

After I get my bird in the air (any day now) and get about 100 hours on her I'm going to get with Deene for a thorough IPC.

Congrats

Instrument ticket was way more of an emotional high than PPL.
At the celebration that evening, the "old hands" said, you are probably at the "top of your game" right now, just because of the vigorously practiced skills. I have found that to be true. The skills can degrade without use.

Keep flyin' and keep filin'

They also said......congrats, be careful, you are licenced to kill yourself now :eek:

Back