What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool Quality

Harbor Freight Quality

Has any one had experience with "Harbor Freight Tools Company"....there Quality or lack of ? There prices seem "a lot" lower than most tool companies.

Thankx
Zman

http://www.harborfreight.com/

Simple answer: It Depends.
Do a search on these forums and you'll find lots of posts on Harbor Freight. Most people suggest that HF is OK for amateur work. My experience suggests that if it is for cutting, buy a better quality. Remember where this stuff comes from (China). YMMV

My HF compressor didn't make it past the empanage. The snips I bought from them have been replaced. The drill bit set has been put in the "non-aircraft" tool box. The pop rivet tool has been replaced due to breakage.

The rulers, dust pan and the flat furniture dollies for moving crates work great.

Joe

Last edited:
Harbor Frieght OK for limited use

In my experience, Harbor Freight tools are OK only if they are intended for limited use. For example, I bought a Harbor Freight air-powered body saw to cut an access hole in a fuel tank rear baffle to fix a leak. I may never use this tool for anything again, so a low cost Harbor Freight tool was my choice in this case.

However, I wouldn't waste the money on HF tools if you plan to use them throughout the build process. In the first place, they do not perform as well as higher quality tools, and beyond that, they do not hold up under regular usage.

Ditto

Ditto to the experience noted above. If it is a "precision" tool or something that you are going to use a lot, spend the money and buy good quality. This doesn't just apply to Harbor Freight. There are lots of lousy tools on the market that you shouldn't buy if you intend to use them a lot.

This might be a good illustration of "you get what you pay for!"

For long-term usage or speciality, stick with Clevelend or Avery.

Quality, is that a joke!

Made in China Junk.

Buy American, better quality and supports our country.

Ted

Ironically none of mine ( I bought two) were in working condition. Resiprocating saw sheared its drive after couple strokes and angled grinder leaked air so badly that compressor could not supply enough air to feed it. Money wasted.

Rule of thumb

If the tool has more than 2 moving parts buy another brand.
However, I bought a touch-up paint gun, a 90* drill adapter and all my natural bristle brushes for 'glass work from HF. But then again the brushes are supposed to work just one time.

Steve

I get stuff from HF to modify. If I need a wrench that has to be ground on or bent to fit I will use a cheep HF tool as I do not want to modify a good expensive one.

I agree with everyone that for a one time use tool you may get by with HF but for stuff you use everyday I would buy the good stuff. Quality of your work is based just a much on the quality of the tool as it is on your skill. Take out some quality insurance and use a good tool.

I have been working with hand and power tools for over 40 years and, believe me, good tools do a better job and are easier to work with. Spend the money on good tools and either keep them when you're done or sell them. You will get more return for good tools than trying to sell junk.

JMHO

Roberta

Quality is the key

Remember, quality never goes out of style. A tool should either be kept for life or passed on to someone who appreciates it. If all else fails you can sell your tools to someone else who wants to build a plane. No one would buy second hand HF equipment, in my opinion.

Allan Stern
RV 6A N570RV
RV 8A N897AS reserved and working on wings

tools

once you know what good tools are you can save money if you can find them at flea markets and pawn shops. this may not apply to all the tools you need. in the past i have got some quality tools at flea markets and sold them to coworkers at my cost, even when they had the almost as good tool already. at first they were skeptical but i let them use them for a week and then took them away. monday they always had cash in hand. good hand tools are worth paying for if you use them regularly.
leon

Not all HF stuff is bad or at least...

I have noticed online aviation tool stores sell the same exact items that can be found at HF a lot cheaper. For example, I bought a 12 piece needle file set from HF for $5.00. Tehy have, and still serve me well.
I thought I would buy a "good" set from an online vendor (it can't hurt having two sets) for $20.00. When the item arrived, it was the same exact item I bought from harbor freight. I quickly sent the item back.

I've also noticed the same thing for the touch up spray guns, foot pedal for my pneumatic squeezer, and a english wheel.

You don't always get what you pay for.. sometimes you just get robbed.

You have to be careful now days.

When it came time to buy my drill press, I thought, "This is one place I don't scrimp." I looked at the Craftsman drill press and low and behold, it was identical to the Harbor Freight except for the extra $100 price. the only difference was the bolts that hold it together. The HF ones are made out of "peanut-butter". I bought the HF one, put it together with "real" bolts and it still serves me well after about 20 years.

HF is generally cheap enough that you can afford to break the tool or put up with some limitations and not feel bad about it. Overall I'm happy with them but I go in knowing I'm not buying top shelf equipment either. Since I'm mostly a weekend warrior, the tradeoffs work for me.

I picked up a tile saw for $40, half the price of very similar looking units at home improvement stores and it's served me and 3 coworkers very well.

The finish nailer/stapler is one of my favorite tools, works great and cost me all of $20.

On the other hand the $10 air drill is junk. But hey, it's $10. :) I keep thinking I should have someone take it apart and look at it. I know it'll never be a Sioux, but I'd like it either be fast enough to be an ok drill, or powerful enough for drywall screws. (Or slow enough to deburr)

I have the 1" belt sander & 6" disc sander combo, a few of their grinders with buffing wheels on them, and a coupe of their air tools. So far so good.

As many have said, it depends. My rule of thumb is that if it has moving parts, it is a risk, but maybe worth taking. Our EAA chapter president bought a $15 HVLP gun, sprayed primer on his Cub fuselage and was very happy with it.

If it is a chunk of iron (a breaker bar, for instance), HF is hard to beat.

HF foot pedal

What is the part number for the pneumatic foot pedal? I couldn't find it on their website. That would be cool...

-DC

HF? Sometimes, but not often

I've found a few bargies, such as aol dust masks, an electronic caliper, and a pretty good bench vice (made in India) at HF. I also got a cheapie pair of dikes to make a rivet remover (true refuse quality, never again.)

But actually, I don't even like going in the door at HF. It stinks of some odd chemicals thereabouts.

I prefer the quality of Avery and Craftsman.

Made in China Junk.

Buy American, better quality and supports our country.

Yeah, like made in America would be some sort of proof of quality? Get real.

It seems that there are several comments like this. I wish to see some true evidence. Of course if something is made for $10 and another is $100 no wonder there is quality difference -- but that really doesn't come from the origin of the product. So if more expensive materials would be used more in China that would bring the prices higher as well. The quality of the products, even they would be still cheaper, could be even higher...

Pirkka??

Pirkka,

Just curious, do you have HF in Finland or are you just trashing on Made in America. Yet you are building a Van's Made in America airplane.

You wish to see some evidence of the difference in quality, I'm sure HF would be happy to ship to you.

Ted

some harbor freight stuff good...

as others has posted some of their stuff is as good or the same as better named brands... my opinion on the stuff I've gotten there so far...

good stuff:

cleco pliers (as good or better than the 'real' cleco plyers I got from a good name aviation supply company)

8-14 rubber hoses... like $4.00 and you get a 3/8 rubber airhose 8 to 14 long... their longer GoodYear hoses are often on sale and some great pieces of gear!

6" stainless ruller 32nd's/64ths... its a ruler with indexing slide and pocket clip... easy to keep on hand in your pocket... dirt cheap.

Ok stuff:

-Automatic center punch... great for punching the center of a rivet that needs to be removed. It feels a little cheap and the point isn't as sharp as some of the quality ones, or I'd move it to the 'good' column, but it works for what I need it to do and it was a lot cheaper than the 'good' ones.

-Hard to beat their 12$ air drill... its not a souix and its not light, but it works and for $12 I can leave one chucked with a #40, and another with a #30 and then use my good name brand mini with what ever I'm using the most at the time and I rarely have to chuck in a new bit.

-vice grip type clamping plyers...

-Air die grinders... picked a couple up for less than $14 each... they do use a lot of air, but there so cheap and they turn.

-They had 3 flute counter sink bits (full set) for $5.00, someone on here posted a coupon to take a $19 set to a $11 for a full set of numbered drill bits. Neither are my "go to" bits but if I ever need an odd size bit or a counter sink breaks I got a back up on hand and it didn't cost me much!

-Thier brass airtool connectors... typically I trash about one in 10 (male or female) due to cracks or manufacturing defects, but then when I went to the local home center to buy 'better' I found they where the exact same manufacturer for almost twice the cost!

Junk (don't even bother):

-their "mirco stop" counter sinks... most wander and chatter internally, they will also mar the work piece, not to mention of the two I bought one was froze (would not addust). They are only 14 bucks but here i've found you get what you pay for!

Last edited:
Just curious, do you have HF in Finland
I'm pretty sure that the closest HF is thousands miles away from Finland. Although similar junk is sold here with higher price.

or are you just trashing on Made in America.
If you read again, I never said so. I don't like when comparing apples to oranges (cheap tools and significantly more expensive tools) -- for sure there is difference and it's not totally coming from the origin of the product.

Yet you are building a Van's Made in America airplane.
For sure it's designed by European in America and much of mine is done at Philippines as well. :D

difference in quality, I'm sure HF would be happy to ship to you.
My first HF package should arrive this week, we'll see whether I contact them again...

A couple of deals I got at Harbor Freight is a 4.5" angle grinder. It vibrates and makes a lot of noise, but has been abused for 7 years and I only paid $10 for it! I got a set of metric and SAE 1/2" drive deep sockets and they will take all the torque I can put on them as well as a set of large open end wrenches.

I usually try to buy Snap On or at least Craftsman if I am going to use it more than once. It really makes a difference.

Many other spur of the moment purchases I made at Harbor Freight ended up getting returned, or in the curbside recycling bin.

HF Tools

Has any one had experience with "Harbor Freight Tools Company"....there Quality or lack of ? There prices seem "a lot" lower than most tool companies.

Thankx
Zman

http://www.harborfreight.com/

As others have stated, "it depends on the tool". I can recommend their HVLP spray gun for spraying primer (I wouldn't use it for spraying the finish paint.) See

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94572

I paid about $45 for this gun, when it was on sale. It works very well shooting epoxy primer. Most of the local RV builders here in SE Florida use this gun for primer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93088

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99559

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=99560

Use these for your 2" and 3" ScotchBrite Roloc discs. I bought two of them. I keep a 2" Roloc mandrel in one and a 3" in the other. It saves lots of time when you don't have to switch tooling on one die grinder. Oil it every day and it will last for years. I'm a professional auto mechanic. I use mine every day to remove paper gaskets from car engines. I really give them a work out. Mine are 7 years old and going strong. I also recommend a straight "mini" die grinder for the Avery 1" diameter ScotchBrite drum and a full size straight die grinder for the 2" drum. See

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47050

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93088

These are nice swivel air line fittings/regulators. Your Roloc discs will last longer if you lower the grinder's speed about 10 - 20%. They come with a lifetime warranty and cost 1/4 of what made in USA Milton products do (which don't come with a warranty) I get about 1 1/2 - 2 years use out of these in every day use. A true bargain. They will help get your air tools into those tight spaces. See

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=7535

Stay away from their cutting or drilling tools. They are about as strong & hard as peanut butter.

Avoid ALL air compressors that do not have a separate compressor and electric motor (look for a fan belt connecting the two) If there is no belt, find something else. The "all in one" units (no belt) are cheap junk. They are also so noisy that you will go deaf, if your wife doesn't divorce you first! :eek:

Hope this helps
Charlie Kuss
PS Harbor Freight's "Professional" series of air tools are of higher quality. Just an FYI

Last edited:
HF tools

Friends don't let friends buy HF. A fella I work with was using a HF alum. pipe wrench at work,it broke in half and he dang near fell over 12 ft to a concrete floor. After that my work place cut-up all HF tools and doesn't allow contrators to bring them on site. If they do after being warned in the contract they have to leave with them or turn them over to us and we get to cut them up, OH what fun it is ! This pipe wrench looked exactly like a Rigid. Harbour freight is JUNK and dangerous, what happens if that cheap grinder doing 10,000 + RPM goes. One time use ok but as a everyday tool, as Gomer Pyle said, shame, shame, shame. Gene

Items I would buy again from Harbor Freight:

1. 90 deg. die grinder
2. 2" Rolock discs & holder
3. Nitrile/latex gloves
4. Spring loaded center-punch
5. Pneumatic pop rivet puller
6. Pneumatic shear
7. $0.99 scissors
8. Electronic volt-ohm meter
9. Shrinker-stretcher
10. Face shield
11. 6" cut-off saw
12. Electronic caliper

There is no hard & fast rule about what is good or bad from them, you have to compare every single item apples to apples. We bash them but unfortunately, many US companies are starting to sell the same stuff just to compete in tough economic times...

The reason alot of the HF tools look exactly like the higher priced alternative is because they are sent to China and copied. They might look alike but the quality is not there, just read many of the posts above and it's plain to see, some are down right life threatening, even though the tool looks exactly the same.

It's the consumers choice, I try and buy American as often as possible. It's very hard to do alot of times. The more everybody buys these inferior imported products, the more our country is being sold out and reinforcing pink slips to our workers.

Pirkka, regarding your Van's Made in America airplane.
For sure it's designed by European in America and much of mine is done at Philippines as well.
I'm pretty sure Van considers himself an American. To say that Van is European would be akin to saying a large percentage of Americans are Europeans because of their families European Roots. Although many are proud of their Euopean heritage, most if not all, consider themselves first and foremost, Americans.

Deny it all you want, the RV's are an American designed aircraft built with American materials. It's true quick builds are assembled in the Philippines (once an American territory) from materials that are made in America at the Van's plant in Oregon.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here, I'm just trying to present the facts as I see them.

Ted

Van was born in Oregon, raised in Oregon, went to Oregon State University, and last I looked, Oregon has been part of the US for about 150 years. In addition, he served in the US Air Force. Pretty much American, but like many Americans, he is of European ancestry.

MAJOR advantage of HF tool......

They do not come with the automatic disappear feature common to really good hand tools.

In my experience, Snap Ons and the good German stuff from Griots have the shortest lifespan in the possesion of any one owner before they "grow legs".

Similar phenomonon with motorcycle tie downs--cheap Walmart issue never get lost---good Ancras or such.....GONE in a FLASH!!!!!!

Harbor Freight bench grinder

Zman,
I forgot earlier to mention that my HF 6" bench grinder has been working fine for the past 8 years. I removed all the guards and grinding stones from it. I purchased two 6" ScotchBrite discs from Avery Tools (medium and fine). I've worn one of each disc out in that time. The bench grinder works great.
Charlie Kuss

Back