What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaps question

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I do not have my wings on but would like to go ahead and mount my position sensor, but it's a bit dependent on the travel. As I'm messing with this I need some clarifications on a few things to ensure I understand this all correctly.

Here's a picture of Mike's setup which I'm replicating..

P7220006.jpg

First off in that picture is the control horn in the retracted (Up) position or the extended (down) position? To me I believe that's the flaps (Up) but want to check.

If it is in the up position and I'm reading page 40-5 of the plans correctly then when you mount the flaps you have it in this (Up) position and adjust the rod the rod to ensure the flap is inline with the rest of the wing. My question is with the horn all the way down what degree deflection do you get in degrees?

What are the typical flap settings people are using? Was thinking 0, 15 and 30 degrees.

Thanks,

Is that sensor water proof or water resistant? I would expect it to get wet in that location. I probably would have chosen a location in the tunnel.

Picture shows the up position, though you won't be able to setup that sensor until you have a flap installed and settle on your horns final movement range.

Larry

What are the typical flap settings people are using? Was thinking 0, 15 and 30 degrees.

Thanks,

I am a 7 builder, but think you will want -3, 0, X, & Y. The reflex is up even with the flaps and ailerons and will be more fuel efficient (faster). It's by the book.

I mounted the sensor below the sheet metal bracket to provide a water shield.

As I recall, the flap is set to the bottom of the fuse by adjusting the pushrod, the bell crank shown runs full up or down ----- it is not the determining factor in the position of the flap, thus the sensor will still read the same if the flap push rod is adjusted.

All I can say it that it worked for me, and a buddy who actually was where I set it up the first time.

I would mount the position sensor inside where it will not get wet. Here is how I did it. I set my G3X to stop at 0, 15, and 30 degrees. When retracted the flaps are at approx. -3 degrees in reflex.

35598065704_a7b52853bf_c.jpg

35598065704_a7b52853bf_c.jpg

Last edited:
I would mount the position sensor inside where it will not get wet. Here is how I did it. I set my G3X to stop at 0, 15, and 30 degrees. When retracted the flaps are at approx. -3 degrees in reflex.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

I'm actually not concerned with it getting wet. Like mike I'm putting mine under a bracket, there's also limited places water can get in, and worse case scenario and it breaks, it's a cheap and easy fix and I can still manually run my flaps.

With the AC and a number of other things my tunnel is far too crowded and not the easiest to get to.

Back