What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yellowstone Beta??

AndyRV7

Well Known Member
In a day and a half I have 11 days off. Anyone have any information on a Yellowstone trip from NJ. Places to stay, access to the best sights, where to land, car rental, temps and Wx in the park this time of year, etc.. I am not oxygen equipped but there doesn't seem to be any particularly difficult terrain between me and the park. I'd also like to see Devil's Tower and the Tetons if that is doable. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks! Andy

We did Yellowstone on the way back from OSH in 2014, landed at Livingstone MT, and got a rental car from the local car dealer who picked us up at the airport.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=116025

Devils tower is neat from the air, we flew by it at one of the Vetterman events.

ZmuMyhsEa-lY71GmydddqijzsLIsXtRJsolnfU2jONktdeRjoZPr2n1l2_ZiZ2NqyUTWyq3I8HdfjJcLyTXDENEXQnifABpQ3BsMfEmot30Gcnl7e1UPcCHp73qvlPgUJ3UW5jrEIP-5Ao5IipUC3xkj_Qs57DIGD7NUFij3rqHx72O6fDxVGJTyF2BCgQPFoDJG6AbTi6Bl8nSBkcvt-I08VHoiQB9IxudqMot-UY4KKfS-J2T5bKzPkDnu2rzbzEoHkO9TcB06sjnl0SPxKXtcVKXLziIF-WzBPvAxBvXHVK1JG_nCYvu2nQO3MXO0R2oIsTdCNSio0Txa48X7GZKx4i1ixEDhosbY2sS-jQLPhkd-EehZamnWfAUZEEpjgzV4jS8q3NdzXIH-NHBKYipWHr9pG2u9CGGZTPKyS0_jA2VEoMAfONgWHlzYrQctHypSvQ12a0wYhf8RZFXjC5ofjX8Lk_wvaoo5ER1dk4XX_5ltxfvg-CnYn5416DGgPXNYVcBrd_45bjgxa-xuDRu66PRv8ghCdn24wst6qQZyfNGmZx74r6HV7RYDeOnvkUGk58SsK3M9_x-8Xgnz9UznHffzU6s=w1327-h888-no

Teatons------fly into Jackson Hole. Nice airport and good folks at the FBO.

QWn5NF-CFiyf3gnQnaH0PZPdkrwRMJh-Z_5_x5OFjE_IWbEvzGrP8yP7u8nf3SIIWQI3kc-idE530sOEKkj9_byHoYY451NGQcTV-ER02Mv4klSEeFP309hA5Rf91G6DSVwcYO_gIymU--RM3yaiRoSGL0ckxOLFeuyPE6yAZ2aAkCeKWe46k3Gz0FEauvv19OAkA4-xnwn1y4t1Z4xxKpvbLCWWDiyUxGcEUTitxrHW-VMETDPizC-N1hu4SZcpkUf-SSFpaYFfLLJvWl4HABXsz6kNKZn5e_P6Wu-WXV4SktjGzhtY9bTG46-wwkgllsxiiak-PdI5jnhPBNrRkiUxOQFuXl8q-sM3cC3Z7MIHYxvWtbuizlhsTLYDh4r4ZbzxjYLWBklFvvbUmkUGmjgvTrSL04c2r8KjNbAQR907Jr6oYVJful6dOxcre-DUc8bgbcEQANpI1EEdPB84HZONKHAWQphjJRG5mwiyStDVysqtWEbUsHEqKTxc-fxFdNC4QAZHIyk2VqT1NMKBCYJj5UoDc_Q8Rpfmckcf3CJu6N9uKuYXmJJXLII9y0zKglpllyVbhfn-dfB1GUzw5a-1gxWVZEk=w1327-h888-no

More photos of Vetterman flyin and Jackson Hole here https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN44qUIqYkJZwE2N5FpeRETBn_W7EMkqTFdWuEr

Last edited:

If it were me... I'd make a trip out of the trip itself. Just past Kansas, Nebraska, and SouthDakota it is a really easy fun trip. Past South Dakota I'd follow major roads or highways. I 90 is a really nice long runway if truly needed. Connect the dots between airports and landing spots. The become a little hard to find in the NW. Following highways takes you through passes through mountains and will generally help you find lower elevations.

Study up on mountain weather patterns and I'd also recommend going up with an instructor to do some mountain flying technics. Chandells are good to be familiar with.

Mount Rushmoore is a nice flyby. Devils tower is cool to see.

Have a fun safe trip.

I'm planning for Yellowstone Sep 1 from Cincy. Appreciate any updates on smoke from Yellowstone fires. thanks, Steve

Suggestions

If it is a leisurely 11 day trip I would suggest planning a day to stop in Hot Springs, SD ( KHSR). This is the home of Vetterman Exhaust and the annual Bad Lands Fly-in. It is a short drive from there to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer, SD. You would drive through a wildlife refuge with buffalo roaming free. It would be well worth your time to stop.

After reading Scott Chastain's America the Beautiful thread these past few days, I cannot help but think whatever you do, you will have a great time on your trip.

My post on my trip last year to Yellowstone and Rapid City is here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=127887&highlight=Yellowstone

I recommend Rapid City and exploring Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the Mammoth dig, and the badlands. You could spend 3-4 days there. I also recommend Flying to West Yellowstone since you are so much closer to the park entrance. We found a nice cabin to stay in.

If you have more time, Denver is a great place to visit as well.

TJ

Wow, great info. Lot's to digest tonight.

I was unaware of the fires out there. They have the south gate closed now.

Devil's Tower? I landed there once.
CE5.jpg

:) OK, maybe not, but it's on my to-do list to get out that way. I saw it from I-90 on the way back from picking up my RV-7 project, so far that's as close as I have gotten. I really want to fix that.

yeah, and I read that 5 miles below there is 300K cubic miles of magma. hot stuff all around!

Last edited:
I live in Worland WY and definitely recommend flying over the Big Horn Mountains, especially over Cloud Peak (13,167ft) if you can. Big Horns are the forgotten range in Wyoming due to the Tetons

I second the post that the Big Horn Mts are spectacular.
Don't forget that anytime after Labor Day you might get snow, although it won't stay around too long. Bring some warm, dry clothes.
I also like West Yellowstone for its convenience. Before Labor Day I'd try to get advance reservations for lodging. After Labor Day it's not so crowded.

Also, West Yellowstone Airport has a campground, for pilots only, I think, so it's pretty much always available.

Yellowstone

I lived in Wyoming for years. Do not go near Yellowstone until the fires are out. That will be after the first big snow. Check out Yellowstone fires 2016. There are over 15,000 acres on fire and the south entrance is closed.:mad:

The smoke level in the Big Horn basin has subsided quite a bit but the smoke level anywhere near a fire is going to severely limit the quality views you otherwise would get. Also, the air traffic in and out of places to fight the fire has been pretty dominant this year. If an entrance is closed to the park it is pretty bad. That being said, crews have been pretty successful this year in putting out fires and hopefully that will continue.

KWYS today

What a small world, Steve. Sorry I couldn't have given you a pirep before your trip, but it was cool meeting you briefly today.

For anyone else planning a trip to the park before 1 Oct, the fires have laid down quit a bit, and here's how it looked this morning. Still a little smokey but strictly VFR. Woody.

1zgt0y1.jpg

I'm planning for Yellowstone Sep 1 from Cincy. Appreciate any updates on smoke from Yellowstone fires. thanks, Steve

nice place

We decided to rent a car in Cody and drive to Yellowstone but stopped by the West Yellowstone airport to have a look because we had reports of some smoke on Sept 2. My first time passenger and flyer was feeling a bit dizzy on the way the day before so I thought it best not to push it. So those were the two factors for not flying from Cody to KWYS. It was great to meet another RV'r who flies around there with a six cylinder RV7. A good looking airplane and nicely equipped. The KWYS campsites looked great! Next time for me for sure. One stop on the way home with not much tailwind, Cody WY to Cincinnati. These planes are amazing. What a great quick trip!

DSCN0463_zpserdsznsn.jpg

DSCN0393_zpslxbysqf8.jpg

The airplane was packed to the gills: two tents, tools, spare nose tire, O2 bottle, food, 2 big guys, etc. I forgot my air mattress and left it in the plane so I slept on the ground. 5C that morning, some 35mph winds that night woke me a couple of times. My buddy thought the wind was a bear snooping around and said he slapped the side of his tent a couple times to make it go away. Snow was forecast on Sunday so we cut the third day of the trip. We saw most everything in two days. We slid out of a gap in the mountains and the overcast South of Cody on Sunday morning.

DSCN0447_zpsnj6vgdzi.jpg

We landed in Cody at 4:30 from Cincy and decided to go see a show there with all you can eat buffet, $30. I liked it.

IMG_20160901_203825_zpsvw8utwyi.jpg

Hiked Mt Washburn for a couple of hours. Some smoke below.

DSCN0400_zps39rqvzkf.jpg

Bison
DSCN0334_zpsug6w1gvb.jpg

A young Elk with a broken leg. Most likely caused by fleeing from the fires but who knows for sure. The Ranger said it would be taken by wolves or bears when the snow arrives. They do not intervene with aid to the animals.
DSCN0460_zpssxxgz3hg.jpg

Route

route_zps89gfckxx.png

Last edited:
Back