What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Note to quick build wing...builders

Tumper

Well Known Member
To the builders out there that are utilizing quick build wings, let me offer you some advice. Prior to installing the access cover and sealing up the wing, take a second and check the vent line fitting inside the wing near the root rib. You can reach your hand in the access cover opening and put a wrench on the fitting and just check to make sure those quick build friends tightened it up.

It sure is easy to do prior to prosealing that cover on, and mounting the wing on your bird.

Don?t ask me why I post this. But I can tell you how to know if your vent line is loose inside the tank.

Just saying?

Dean,
This is a good heads up.
This past summer an owner dropped off his Quick Build RV-8 for a condition inspection. He mentioned that one tank was venting puddles of fuel on the hangar floor. I pushed a hose over the belly vent and blew into it while holding a finger over the tube near the filler neck. I could hear bubbling in the tank.
After removing the tank and access panel I found the flare nut at the bulkhead fitting was sliding freely on the tube.
The aircraft is 6-7 years old so I figure the nut was only finger tight and vibrated loose.

Back