What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Gear Bolts Retorque - Idea

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I was reading about the trouble to retorque the outer landing gear bolts and was thinking about different solutions. I came up with anti-rotation brackets for the nuts in the gear tower. I bought four 7/16 12-ponit nuts and welded on .040 steel flanges. Before mounting the gear I drilled and tapped a hole between the gear bolts for AN-3 bolts. Now the nuts are locked and I can retorque the bolts from below - alone. It is not the correct way to torque the bolts instead the nuts, but I believe the result will be close enough. Torqueing (did I write this correct?) the nuts with several extensions and swivel things seem inaccurate as well to me. I´m happy to receive any inputs. I have the airfoiled Grove Gear with NAS1804 nuts. Weight penalty is about 7 oz.
Here are some pics I wanted to share:

Adjusting torque value

So, there are a number of factors that suggest that you should adjust your torque setting to compensate for various factors here.

First, even if you are torquing the nuts, you have the friction associated with the locking feature that is above and beyond the thread friction that is included in conventional torque specs.

Second, if you are torquing the bolt heads rather than the nuts, you have the friction of the bolt head seating area, plus the bolt shank area turning in its hole.

So here is what I do: Loosen the bolt just a bit, not enough to make it actually loose, just take some of the preload off. Then, measure the torque required to turn the bolt at all. With a beam type torque wrench, this is easy. With a clicking type torque wrench, you will have to iterate, working up to the point where the bolt just starts turning before the wrench clicks.
Either way, note the torque value that gets the bolt turning.

Now, add that to the specified torque setting, and torque the bolts to that value, unless one notable exception below.

This technique compensates for all of the turning friction, including the nut thread friction. On the other hand, it is only including the head contact friction when the bolt is not fully tight. So I figure these two effects cancel. But you could also find an alternative torque setting that assumes lubricated threads rather than dry threads and use that as the base, plus the measured friction torque.
The purpose here is to establish a proper tension pre-load in the bolt. My bet is that virtually everyone is a bit under-torqued because of the friction torque being higher than normal. Add to that the conservatism that NAS close-tolerance bolt recommended torque levels are WAY below normal engineering practices that call for pre-loads of 60--80% of bolt yield stress.
So I have no concerns about getting the torque a little high because of the procedure described above.

Now the one caveat, as mentioned above: Assuming the U-803 brackets have been fitted properly, there should be a small gap between the U-803 bracket and the U-805 wear plate. As you approach the target torque, you must be sure that gap does not close up. If you see it close up at or before you get to the normal specified torque, I would grind some material off the U-803. If you get somewhere in between the normal specified torque and the target torque based on the above, then I would just stop there.

It is frustrating that the U-803 are as flexible as they are, limiting the amount of bolt pre-load that can be acheived without bending them. I have made some alternative U-803 brackets that have a thicker strap over the gear leg, and a counterbore to allow a NAS hex head to fit so the same length bolts can be used, and no additional fairing over bolt heads is needed.
I haven't installed those yet. Anyone that would like the drawing of that modified U-803 should PM me. I made them from 4340 steel.

Last edited:
On my RV-8, I installed the bolts with the heads in the LG box, and the nuts on the bottom. I did have to make a slightly thicker upper landing gear intersection fairing to make room for the nuts, but the difference from other aircraft is not easily noticed.

This idea with the anti-rotation devices would work very well with the bolts installed that way.

What Kevin describes is certainly best. I sort of recall trying, and finding that I could not install the bolts in the tower. I think a few of the AN3's that hold the weldments together were in the way. I wasn't keen on undoing all that at the time. Looking back, it is one of the things I would do differently. I would put the bolts in through the tower. Of course, I would do the tower mod too. And a list of other things.....

Use NAS1804 nuts!

And PLEASE everyone, use the high-strength NAS1804 12-pt nuts no matter what. The NAS679A nuts that are (or at least were for a long time) supplied with the kit are NOT high-strength nuts. They are very light-weight nuts intended for low-strength applications.

We have witnessed the failure mode in testing, where under high tension, the NAS679A nuts elastically expand enough to "leapfrog" over the threads, one thread at a time. Thus the bolt gets loose, even though the nut doesn't turn, and no obvious indication of stripped threads.

There have been a number of documented cases of people finding loose nuts during condition inspection, and a couple of damaged airplanes as a result of the poor NAS679A nuts.

The following old thread shows the test results of pull-testing various nuts.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=42630

Back